Label Appearing Twice

Started by ajayre, August 22, 2022, 04:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajayre

Hi, I have applied a label to the material used for a metal box. I removed the lid and I was surprised to find another copy of the label on the inside of the box.

I've turned off two-sided and tried setting the depth to 0.1mm but neither helped. A depth of anything other than zero and both labels dissappear.

Keyshot 10.2 CAD HD.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!

Andy

TGS808

I've encountered this as well. In these situations the only fix that I've found that works is using the split surface tool to separate the inside of the box from the outside. That will give you a second instance of the material where you can remove the label from the inside. Maybe not ideal to have two versions of the same material but it works. If the split surface tool is unavailable to you in Keyshot 10.2 CAD HD then I'd suggest separating these to surfaces in your CAD program and reimporting the model.

If someone knows a better way for when setting the depth to 0.1mm doesn't work and a depth of anything other than zero makes both labels disappear, I'd love to know what it is.

ajayre

Just tried Keyshot 11.2.1.5 CAD HD - exactly the same.

Split object surfaces is not in the CAD version.

Andy

TGS808

Separate the surfaces in your modeling software before importing into KS by assigning two different materials to the inside and outside of the box.

mattjgerard

Yep, common problem. The depth is your savior, make sure its on Plane mapping mode, turn off 2 sided and both H and V repeat,  and set the depth to something small but not zero. Then you have to use the Move Label tool and make sure the plane of the label is in line and on top of the surface you want the label to be on. Don't use Box mapping. If you click on the little target icon in the move tool pallet, this will allow you to click on the sirface and dynamically click and drag the label to where you want it, then scale and rotate it from there. But the target mode will pop it right to the surface that you need.

The other option is to use UV mapping and click and drag on the surface to place it. This does nothing if your model doesn't have UV's , but if it does this is the preferable way to place labels as it will be "stuck" to the geometry where you place it, and will also scale with the model if needed.

ajayre

Quote from: mattjgerard on August 23, 2022, 07:20:27 AM
Yep, common problem. The depth is your savior, make sure its on Plane mapping mode, turn off 2 sided and both H and V repeat,  and set the depth to something small but not zero. Then you have to use the Move Label tool and make sure the plane of the label is in line and on top of the surface you want the label to be on. Don't use Box mapping. If you click on the little target icon in the move tool pallet, this will allow you to click on the sirface and dynamically click and drag the label to where you want it, then scale and rotate it from there. But the target mode will pop it right to the surface that you need.

As far as I can tell (screenshot of my settings above) I have done all of these. Or have I missed something?

Setting the depth to anything above zero, e.g. 0.0001mm, results in the label not being shown.

I used the "fit to" option to get it onto the side I wanted and then scaled and rotated from there.

Andy

TGS808

ajayre

Thanks TGS808.  :D

For now I have adjusted the angle of my renders to hide the inside label from view but this is a real pain - ideally I shouldn't have to fudge my model  just to overcome Keyshot problems.

Andy

TGS808

If you can assign different materials to parts or to individual faces in your CAD modeling software, then it isn't really "fudging" your model. It's just preparing it. I do it all the time. For areas that I know I'm going to want broken up in KS I assign different materials (just solid colors) to parts and faces in Fusion 360. Sometimes it's easier and faster to do that then use the split surface tool in KS (which you don't have access to anyway). Sometimes you end up in a situation like yours, where you don't realize until after you're in KS that you might need to do this. It should be easy enough to modify the models surface in CAD and then just re-import that part so that your box will have a separate inside and outside. No label doubling will happen and you won't have to adjust your cameras to hide unwanted stuff.

ajayre

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you mean splitting my case part into two parts or something like that, i.e. changing geometry. Changing the color of that one face in CAD and then assigning the same material but without the label in KS was easy to do and worked! Many thanks!  :D

Andy

TGS808