My KS2 vs KS3 comparison.

Started by Robert V., December 18, 2011, 08:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert V.

Hi all, wanted to show the difference between the 2 keyshot's

KS2 version is: 2.3.1
KS3 version is: 3.0.81

I created the scene in KS2, then saved it and opened it in KS3. The only thing I changed in KS3 was the gamma, so it had the same value as the KS2 setting.
I couldn't find the "sharp glossy reflections" option in KS3.
In the end, there were no differences between the settings of KS2 and KS3. Render size: 800x560.

Keyshot 2 (Time: 12:18, File size: 65,9Kb)

Keyshot 3 (Time: 10:08, File size: 48,1Kb)

Speedster

I did a similiar comparison during beta test, and then realized it was not valid.  KS3 was developed as an integrated system, with all components working together.  I think you will find that if you reload the HDR and set the gamma the same as in KS2, but then drag in new (similiar) materials, etc. you will really see the difference. And I'm not sure you want to match the gamma the same anyway, as there appears to be major changes in the ray tracing process. Default is 2.000.  I often drop it to 1.800. This is on the settings tab. 

I'm going back now and redoing many of my KS2 projects, especially those that are the basis of my giclee print line.

Henrik can fill us in more on the differences, but they are definitely there...

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

KeyShot

Can you share the scene with us? The output of KeyShot 2 and 3 should be the same for this model. It looks like your hdri might be different?

-- Henrik

jjeconomaki

I concur that the output of KS2 and 3 is NEVER the same for the same file. KS3 is much hotter from the get go.

--John

jhiker

Quote from: jjeconomaki on December 19, 2011, 09:13:05 AM
I concur that the output of KS2 and 3 is NEVER the same for the same file. KS3 is much hotter from the get go.

--John

'hotter'? - what exactly do you mean..?

Chad Holton

The startup HDR is different - You can drag v2's, in if you like it better... just a little DnD action is all it needs!  ;)

jjeconomaki

The "hotter" I am referring to is the default gamma of 2. It is easily fixed--it just takes awhile to understand the differences between the versions.

-John