Translucent liquids in glass (with ice cubes)

Started by DriesV, December 26, 2011, 10:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Hi,

Today I've been doing some experimenting with translucent 'liquids in glass' rendering.
Left to right: orange juice, milk, Pisang orange cocktail  ;).
I've added a couple of ice cubes as well.

I'm pretty happy with these results.
However, doing the same with fully transparent liquids (using material type "Liquid") proves to be much more challenging with respect to the ice cubes.
Right now I've modelled the liquid volume in such a way that it actually protrudes the glass & ice cube volumes. This is the way I've always modelled liquids for rendering with Vray.
Changing out the liquid volume materials from "translucent" to "liquid" gives strange refractions when viewed at 0 elevation.
I know from the KeyShot "Wine_Glass" sample scene how liquids should be approached in KeyShot, but how do I translate this workflow to liquids with ice cubes or even optimal translucent liquids?

greetings,
Dries

Zander85

Very cool. I haven't played with liquids yet but I like where you are going. Just my two cents: Turn up your samples (I am seeing some spotty pixely bits). Also the orange juice looks pretty yellow. Might want to Orange that up a bit.  ;)

DriesV

Thanks for the kudos!
About the "spotty pixely bits" (very cool term by the way, I should add to my rendering jargon ASAP  :D): I know they are there. I ran this render on a notebook with an intel T7500 (2.2GHz) CPU. Somehow translucent materials take very long to resolve to a clean (unpixely) solution, much longer than most other material types. These renders are screenshots from real-time originally @ 1280 x 720 px, after having cooked well over 1.5 hours.
I think if I let it render longer, I would have gotten more delicious juices  ;).

I find it hard to quickly tune translucent materials on my rig, because it takes so long to get proper SSS, even at more modest image resolutions. So I actually didn't bother tuning the materials much more. I mainly wanted to check how translucent liquids can be done in KeyShot. The translucent material type seems to fit these particular juices well.

A quick note @ the KeyShot developers: it would be nice to have some translucency controls in the liquid material type. At the moment I don't know how to make materials with very subtle translucency and relatively high transparency, e.g. liquid honey...

Can it be done with the current set of materials?

greetings,
Dries

guest84672

You may want to experiment with the advanced material for this one.

DriesV

Hi,

I've been tuning the orange juice and milk materials and swapped the Pisang with ice cooled honey (mm...delicious!  :P).

@ Thomas: advanced material did the trick for honey ;).

greetings,
Dries

Zander85

Looking really nice! Id love to see a few small air bubbles at the top of the milk. Don't know if you can add that though.  8)

guest84672

Awesome, Dries. These are definitely great examples.

xcut0r

maybe reflections and specular should be more sharp! :) glass kinda looks like plastic!

just my 2cents

cumps
Tiago Saraiva

fletch1971

hey guys can anyone help. i have been trying to render liquids - attached is the screen shot and my setup from standard materials.
the screen shot is ok, but the render is completely different, any suggestions? (i am using keyshot 2)

Robb63

You've probably turned up your ray bounces in preview to get the liquid to look right.
If you haven't done so, you need to set the ray bounces in your render settings to the same number.

Good Luck!

mcguirems

fletch1971

Hi peeps!

i was adjusting the real time ray bounces not the render settings...getting some really good real time rendering! lol

thanks for the feedback