New Label Positioning Tools in 3.0.96

Started by br3ttman, January 09, 2012, 08:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

br3ttman

Thank-you, Thank-you for the new interactive label positioning tools!  I've been so looking forward to these!

I'm having a heck of a time using them, though.  When I try rotating a cylindrical map around the Y axis, the mapping icon rotates around Z axis instead, or when I rotate it around the Z axis, it rotates correctly, but in the opposite direction.  When I do a planar X projection, it maps along the y axis at an odd angle.  Any insight into what I might be doing wrong?

For giggles, I'm trying to map a flame label around the tire below, but I just can't get the cylindrical mapping to line up along either of the wheel axis shown.

Also, another feature that'd be nice to have with the interactive cylindrical mapping tool, would be the ability to numerically enter map rotation angles and/or have the map snap to 15 degree increments while holding the shift key like you can do when rotating parts.

br3ttman

I tried playing with the new label positioning tools in 3.0.96 again this evening.  I found out the cylindrical mapping only works if you import a vertical cylinder (like we had to do in Keyshot 2.0).  I could then map the label as desired, make instances and then move/rotate components to different positions.  (as illustrated by the wheels in the middle and background)  However, if I imported a cylinder with it's axis along KeyShot's X or Z axis or at some random angle, all bets are off.  The cylindrical mapping tool goes haywire as though its trying to account for both the component's coordinate system and KeyShot's environment coordinate system at the same time.  Moreover, as we've all been learning, if I import an additional instance, it's scale is off compared to the original (as illustrated by the wheel in foreground).

PhilippeV8

jhiker

I noticed this too and raised the issue in this post in an attempt to get some clarification but nobody from Keyshot even bothered to answer.

http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=2815.msg11857#msg11857

guest84672

You couldn't rotate the cylinder using the mapping tool?

jhiker

I think you misunderstand.
The question is, does a cylinder/tyre/dustbin/whatever have to be axis vertical (like an upright Coke can) in order to get the cylindrical mapping to work properly?

guest84672

With labels and textures you have the ability to use the mapping tool. Go to rotate, and rotate the cylinder (of the mapping tool) to match the orientation of the object.

guest84672

I see that there are some issues. We will look into this.

jjeconomaki

Cylindrical Mapping does not work--and has been reported by several users and is a known bug. Is there a timeline for getting it fixed?

-John

br3ttman

Quote from: Thomas Teger on January 11, 2012, 06:15:32 AM
I see that there are some issues. We will look into this.

Thomas,

From your statement above, it appears you're playing with the mapping tool and seeing some of the quirky behaviour we've been seeing.  For me this happens whether I'm using the new label cylindrical mapping tool or the texture cylindrical mapping tools: If I didn't import the cylinder in a vertical orientation to begin with, when I go to "rotate" the mapping tool icon it behaves erratically.  It's even worse when you turn off "repeat", you lose visibility of the texture altogether the moment you give it the slightest rotation.

Here's another practice rendering from a few weeks back.  Same story; the pop cans I imported vertically map just fine (center and right position).  The can on the left I imported at a random angle and "rotating" the cylindrical mapping tool icon just doesn't work.

Thanks for looking into this! :)

br3ttman

BUMMED   >:(

After watching the latest KeyShot 3.1 webinar with the decal on the bicycle, I went to test the updated cylindrical label mapping tools this evening.  After an hour of failing to fix the the files I posted earlier in this thread, I then reimported all my data to try from scratch.  It actually appears that this mapping tool took a big leap backwards.

Problems I'm seeing using the cylindrical mapping tool:
- I still can only use the mapping tool on a cylindrical objects imported in a vertical orientation. (and now only on the pop can vs. the wheel in the previous shots in this thread) 
- When using the mapping icon on cylindrical object not imported vertically, the mapping icon flops into a new position after rotating it.  It then remains in strange orientations and any attempt at rotation is counterintuitive and non-functional.
- When I adjust IOR or specularity, the label disappears completely and I need to reposition it to see it again.

Another thing I noticed while trying to troubleshoot this:  After I import the pop can or wheel assembly (from ProE) with the 'Y' axis vertical, I cannot import another copy along a different axis.  If I choose 'X' or 'Z' axis it still comes in along the initial 'Y' axis.

br3ttman

Finally, SUCCESS  ;D

So I went back through your latest webinar to review how you applied the cylindrical texture map to the bicycle and finally found the solution as to why it wasn't working for me.  In your video you first did a NORMAL projection of your label to the part, and then converted it to a cylindrical projection.  So I did it exactly that way and now it works.  The odd part is that it's like it primed the pump, and now I can go to any part and get the mapping tool to work whether I started it first as a normal projection or as a cylindrical project.  Go figure?!  But now after 3 hours of trouble shooting, it's the sweet tool I've been waiting for.

jhiker

Quote from: br3ttman on March 20, 2012, 05:47:10 PM
BUMMED   >:(

After watching the latest KeyShot 3.1 webinar with the decal on the bicycle

Bicycle - which Webinar is that?

br3ttman

You can find the latest webinars under keyshot.com/resources/tutorials and scroll down to the webinars.  Here's a YouTube direct link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6MPKJthJeI&feature=player_embedded 

The bicycle with KeyShot Logo label is at about 38:00.

br3ttman

Scratch that!  Cylindrical mapping isn't working after all.  I'll send in my .bip file and see if you can help me conquer this.