Does Collada import into KS3?

Started by Speedster, January 15, 2012, 04:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

I see that Collada is listed on the website as a valid import option into KS3 (3.0.96) but I can't get one to import.  Any clues?  And how many of us use Collada?  Is it common in apps like 3Dmax, C4D and others?
Bill G

KeyShot

Hi Bill,

We did indeed remove Collada in KeyShot 3. We do have a way of enabling it by including the old importers of KeyShot 2. It would be good to know how many users need it. You are the first to report that it is missing.

-- Henrik

Speedster

Thanks, Henrik.  That's what I figured.  I ask because I was talking with TurboSquid, and Kate mentioned that Collada was becoming quite popular, and suggested that I add this option for my products, now only .obj.  But I don't have any apps that I can import into to test the SolidWorks>Collada conversion I do in SimLab Animator.  It's rather vague as to how Collada is actually used in CG, and in what apps.  So I'm hoping some of you on the Forum might clue us in?
Thanks!
Bill G

JohnG

Photoshop Extended supports Collada, as does Blender (which is free), www.blender.org

Come to think of it, Adobe's decision to support Collada rather than FBX maybe one of the reasons its getting more popular.

CAClark

Well I work primarily with Lightwave, which supports Collada, so I wouldn't mind it. Having said that, I don't know what benefits it offers over FBX.

Cheers!

lillusaur

Hello!
Sorry for the resurrection of an old thread but what is the status of importing .DAE files? I could do it in KS2 but it doesn't work on v3. Is this something that could be worked around in keyshot or do I need to use some external converter?

KeyShot

lillusaur