UPDATE My First Real Image of 2012

Started by feher, January 15, 2012, 05:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feher

Hi Guys,
Well this is my first real image for 2012. Everything I have been doing has been studio shots art directed by others....rrrrrrr
So I couldn't take it anymore so I decided to do something for myself. Hope you like it.
Backplate and dome was taken by Jessie Ehrler http://jessicaehrler.com/home.html
Thoughts, comments, Concerns are always welcome.
Software used:
Maya
Keyshot
HDRI Light Studio
Photoshop
After Effects.
Tim

PhilippeV8

amazing :)
I like the one with color.
It's a keeper ;)

feher

Thanks Philippe,
Here is what the image looked like before and after.
Just because we might have an HDRI that goes with a background doesn't mean it's going to do what you want.
That's where HDRILightStudio comes into play. Yes I could've done this in Photoshop but, It would have taken me hours instead of minutes. To be honest I realty don't know for sure if I could have gotten that gradation on the hood in Photoshop.
Keyshot and HDRILightStudio is a deadly combo for any CGI Artist.
Tim

Speedster

Beautiful as always!  Tim, exactly what did you do in Maya?  I ask because I'm shopping for another app to suppliment SolidWorks, that can handle freeform and surfaces better.
Bill G

guest84672

Awesome.

@Bill: Maya, really? I would think Modo is the better choice for you (still hopelessly complex, though).

feher

Thanks Bill and Thomas !
Bill as for Maya I do not do the modeling part. I know you can model anything in Maya when it comes to modeling. On this model I know the sheet metal and the RR tail lamps were modeled from scratch.
But, it's so frickin robust it takes a long time to understand.
If your willing to pull your hair out then Maya has everything you could want for modeling.
Opinions will very of course.
Tim

Speedster

Thanks for the advice, guys-  I am definitely conserving what hair I have left!  I did play with MoI a bit, but without documentation it's tough.  I know a lot of great work is done with it, though.  I'll look at Modo now.
Bill G

Chad Holton

feher

Well, I kept looking at this image and some others have made some suggestions. I listen. So I went back at it.
I hope it's better.  ???
Let me know what you think.

Ed

Definitely much better.  The even lighting of the building, especially at the rear was throwing me off.  Making it darker and removing the awnings really makes the car stand out.  I like how you view your scenes as a composition rather than just plopping a model down on any back plate.

Feher - What is your favorite PS technique for selectively making areas of the plate darker?

Ed

PhilippeV8

Not sure if I like this better ... I feel like we see very little of the car now ... only the nose ... it's more of an "in your face" render now.

feher

Quote from: Ed on January 18, 2012, 10:44:56 AM
Definitely much better.  The even lighting of the building, especially at the rear was throwing me off.  Making it darker and removing the awnings really makes the car stand out.  I like how you view your scenes as a composition rather than just plopping a model down on any back plate.

Feher - What is your favorite PS technique for selectively making areas of the plate darker?

Ed

Any technique that does not require me adding black. I treat that the same way I use to paint. Never use black when making dark colors.
As for filters I use everything and anything. The one I use the most is selective color. Curve for highlights.
I don't know if that answered your question.
PM me if I didn't maybe we can exchange numbers and talk over the phone about this.
Tim

Speedster

I agree with Phillip.  I think the "Final Post" image is the best, and well balanced.  The last image is, in my opinion, rather harsh and "in your face".  But more important, it has taken on a CAD CG quality.  In my own experience, (which I need a lot more of!), there seems to be a tipping point, beyond which it's a downhill slide.  My mom, who was a professional artist and teacher for over 70 years, used to tell her students "the mark of the artist is knowing when to stop".  Just my thoughts...
Bill G

feher

Darn it, you guys are going to make me retouch out those awnings and go back to the original size.....rrrrrrr.... :)
You know it's going to bug me now until I do that. Quit being lazy Tim and retouch the backplate.  Yes, I was just typing to myself...lol
Ok guy's I'll go back to it.
Thanks for all the feedback.
Tim

Zander85

I think it is better now that you have made corrections. I agree with all of the notes you made in green. I really like the 2nd version. Very cool!  8)