Any interior or exhibit designers using KeyShot?

Started by hdstudio, May 12, 2010, 08:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdstudio

Post some samples of your KeyShot renderings, if you have spare moment. Thanks.

Curious to how you would control the lighting in an interior space.

sdesaulles

I this has been read 962 times, pity there are no replies, I too would live to see some hints on how to deal with interiors that don't have loads of plate glass windows around them to let the light in.  Emissive materials are a possibe but make the rendering times super slow.

Perhaps you have found some techniques?

Cheers

Stephen

Cliff Stanton

I had a play in the early days but I believe the HDR studio is worth a look at!

Speedster

I also use HDR Light Studios Pro, as well as panels.  Here's our kitchen designs, now remodeled.  We went with the "dark" look, not painted cabinets.  Also, there was a recent post by a new member, with wonderful shots of his exhibit and stage designs, but I can't find his post.  Very inspiring.
Bill G

Io

Interesting, how long did it take for this setup?

PhilippeV8

I am curently re-building my bathroom, coming from a squared room (1m80 * 1m80) with a bath, a toilet, a single sink and a big radiator.
I knocked down a wall and made it a 1m80 x 2m80 room with a bath, a double sink and a flat/high radiator and a toilet in a separate room.
To get an idea what it would look like, I made these renders.  Also I can use this setup for color study for the tiles etc.

I didn't let them render for long though .. just enough to get a good idea ... thus kinda grainy.

Cliff Stanton

Just to clarify the earlier post was not with HDR studio that is just keyshot, the thin panel roof was added to cast a shadow and wasn't intended to be in shot. Also since then I have learnt how to make the 4th wall invisible but still act as a light reflector or source by applying emissivity. At the time of this render you can still see the window reflecting the open environment.
Nice posts all thanks for taking the time to upload!

fario

it is not easy, in my opinion, to set the vision in a space perspective ---> closed all sides.

right?

PhilippeV8

The trouble is not so much the perspective .. it's that the light is coming from the HDRI (environement) and if your room is a closed box, it'll be black as night.

One could add emissive materials to simulate lights, but that slows down rendering by a LOT.

Cliff Stanton

If I understand your question Antoine...
The 4th side, the wall you are shooting through, is made emissive with a texture this allows you to editthe material, add the texture that will give you the reflections you want, then make the material invisible by setting the Visible to the eye off, also if you donot want the wall in reflections set this to off also.
Camer angle is easy for me as I am a keen amateur photographer i think of it this way
28mm wide angle
50mm standard
80 - 200mm shortens depth of field.
use distance then to crop the shot to where you want it.
does this answer your question?
regards
Cliff

Cliff Stanton

Philip may well be correct about time taken I have not used HDR studio but it sure looks good for the

fario

QuoteThe 4th side, the wall you are shooting through, is made emissive with a texture this allows you to editthe material

good idea. i will to try

thanks

Speedster

Yes, the HDR does need to be able to access the subject.  On my kitchen remodel (my wife's hammering at me now to do the cabinets!) I started with an accuract, but not highly detailed, SolidWorks model.  Took about a day to measure and model, including the new appliances. 

The important thing is that I did the ceiling in two parts so I could apply materials to suit.  I found that various combinations of glass worked well, allowing me to adjust the overall look and color temperature by swaping out materials.  Frosted worked great, and also if it was slightly warm tinted.  Anyway, the following images may give food for thought.  Great way to visualize a remodel!  Trick- take some real photos of the space, use them as backplates, hide the model walls, for example and use the backplate to adjust the view and perspective.
Bill G

elliasp

If I can give you some tips :

- Don't forget Keyshot is reacting like a REAL CAMERA. And in real photography, if you want to have a perfect interior lighting, you have to forget the exterior (you will be able to do some changes
on photoshop later).

So, that means 2 things :

- your interior has to be completely closed (no open walls, you have to close your house with all your walls)

- Your HDRI has to be OVER LIGHTED (use a complete white hdri) and push it as luminous as you can (because in reality, the light of the sun is the most strong you can find)

LOOK AT THE REALITY : to have a perfect interior rendering, you will have to do this : OVER EXPOSED LIGHT + CLOSED WALLS (only windows can let the ligh come in the house)

And of course.... work on your materials, it's very important.

After this, in "real time render", play with gama and lighting to have the perfect result  ;)

fario