Best rendering?

Started by solodesign, May 13, 2010, 06:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solodesign

Let me explain.
Keyshot gives amazing result since first approach, but I need an high quality image file to print and show (not all the customers are tech-enhanced).
I usually worked on the image pixel size and reduced its dimensions with Photoshop bringing 72dpi definition to 300dpi.
Even if I bring image pixel size to maximum, when I adapt it with Photoshop I get a kinda blurry image  :-\.
I think I should add values to the quality settings but this result in a much longer rendering time.
This is the question: given a 2545 pixels width to rendering image, which is, in your honest opinion, the best quality settings combo to best render under 5 minutes?

Thank you.

+

guest84672

What do you mean by "bring image pixel size to maximum"?

Speedster

Hi solodesign;

Start with your print requirements.  For example, if it's for an 8" x 10", render at 2400 x 3000, which will give a 300 dpi image equivelant.  Now, when you bring that image into Photoshop, it will import at 72 dpi, and the size of a billboard.  Now "Resize Image Size", by unchecking "resample", and simply enter 300 over the 72.  This will resize the image to 8 x 10, at 300 dpi.  Adjust the KeyShot rendering whatever to meet your own print image size.

On my 8 cpu (dual quad-core) this would render in about 5-8 minutes depending on the materials.  If you are using a single core, figure about 6-10 hours.  There's really no way to set an image size to be optimum for your 2545 size print and run it in under five minutes unless you have multiple cpu's.

Bill G

solodesign

Quote from: Thomas Teger on May 13, 2010, 07:32:32 AM
What do you mean by "bring image pixel size to maximum"?
I mean I go to Render tab and set, under Output settings, image width to maximum value allowed (2545).
That value is referred to the pixel, isn' t it?
As far as I can see, 2545 is maximum value with a Pixel Filter Size of 1,5 and 2375 is the maximum with a Pixel Filter Size of 1.

Thank you Speedster but, maybe I didn' t explain myself, adjusting rendering image with Photoshop is no part of the problem.

If I let Render => Quality Settings to default:

Samples (4-256): 16
Ray Bounces (0-64): 6
Anti Aliasing Level (1-8): 1
Shadow quality (1-10): 1
Global Illumination Quality (1-5): 1

and render the image to its maximum (2375 with a Pixel Filter Size of 1), my rendering time is 73 seconds using an HP Z400 Workstation.
If I raise Anti Aliasing Level to 8 I render the image in 83 seconds but if I raise also Shadow Quality to 10 I get more than 10 minutes.
In the scene there is a table and a cabinet, environment is default studio.

Which values do you suggest to raise to get a better image and still have a render time under 5 minutes?
Which is your best value combination?

+

quigley

Well your blurry image might be the high anti aliasing settings. To be honest I never render anything with shadow quality above 5 or anti aliasing above 3. sometimes you are better of reducing redner time and using Photoshop more effectively - 2 mins render time+2 mins Photoshop is still less than 20 mins render and 1 min Photoshop.....