Hopefully this is a simple answer

Started by Megatron, February 09, 2012, 12:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megatron

lets say for example i have 1 solid cast part like a valve cover.
now on this valve cover i have cast features and machined features.
in keyshot, i want to apply the cast material, but it applies it to the whole part, even the finished edges, is there anyway to select surfaces and apply a smooth chrome material on the machined faces? or do i have to do something different in Pro/e before bringing it into keyshot

fyi im running keyshot 3 and Pro/Engineer 5

Speedster

Yes, and it's simple.  You have to "map" different surfaces (or features) so KS knows what to do.  Use colors only, never any native CAD materials.  Do the valve cover one color, or leave it natural.  Color the machined surfaces say, green.  Makes no matter.  Then in KS you can apply to suit.  Here's a shot illustrating the concept.  The cab colors allowed me to orient the wood grain in the proper direction, ditto the wheel spokes.  Don't be afraid to "overmap"- you can always link them together in KS.
Bill G

Speedster

Sorry- I forgot to mention that you have to do your mapping in your native ProE.
Bill G

guest84672

In KeyShot 2, when linked materials (Shift LMB to copy - shift + ctrl RMB to paste and link) it would hide parts with the same material. In KeyShot 3, this no longer works this way since the architecture has changed. You will need to hide the parts in a separate step.

Selecting all parts that have the same material is only possible by manually selecting them in the scene tree.

In KeyShot 3, if you use Shift LMB to copy a material, and then apply it using Shift RMB, it will copy and link the material. Once they are linked, any changes made to the material will change the material on all parts.