Cannot install KeyShot 3.0.99 trial on Mac OSX 10.6.8

Started by astepanov256, February 19, 2012, 10:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astepanov256

Hello everyone!

I just downloaded the trial version of KeyShot 3 for Mac and ran the installation package. The installer reported success but when I try to run KeyShot, I get an error message saying that I "Cannot execute the package because it's broken or incomplete". HELP!!!

-Alex

guest84672

Did you install as administrator and are trying to run as non-administrator?

astepanov256

Thomas,

In the Mac world (unlike Windows, which has a very different security model), users almost always run as a non-privileged account and only escalate their privs for the duration of the installation (OSX does "sudo" behind the scenes). To answer your question: yes and yes. I run my programs (3D modeling, Photoshop, etc.) as an "ordinary" user but when I install anything, I enter admin password and temporarily escalate my privileges to the admin level. Hope that answers :-)

guest84672

It depends on the organization that why I asked. In your case their shouldn't be any problems then. Try and change the permissions of the KeyShot3.app/Contents/MacOS folder from custom to read only.

astepanov256

Hello Thomas,

I tried to change the permissions as suggested, does not seem to make any difference at all. Attached are the screenshots of the error message I'm getting and the permissions that are set on the Keyshot application.

Thanks
Alex

astepanov256

Quick update: once I clicked "Propagate permissions to enclosed items", everything fell in place... Now I was able to start KS at the very least :-)