Network rendering; System requirements

Started by DonChunior, February 08, 2012, 01:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonChunior

Hi together,

we are thinking about introducing network rendering.

Currently we are rendering pictures (TIFF with Alpha channel), which take us some 8 hours till they are finished.

The existing rendering workstation has following system specification:
Workstation: HP Z800
Processor: 3.2 GHz, 6 physical cores + 6 virtual cores (activated by hyperthreading)
RAM: 24 GB
Operating system: Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1

We want to reduce the rendering time from 8 hours to 2 hours.
What are then the system requirements for the slave computers when using network rendering?

Best regards, DonChunior

Speedster

Hi Don;
I'm thinking the same thing.  I'm running 8 cpu's @ 16 gigs, which is pretty fast.  As part of your search, take a look at the Boxx Render Farms.  KeyShot had one running at last year's Siggraph, which I believe had 72 cpu's in it.  http://boxxtech.com/products/RenderBOXX/rendering_Series.asp  Look especially at the Pro series.  It's the one I'm looking at.
Bill G

guest84672

If you want to reduce render times by 75% you will need to add 3 more cpu's of the kind you described.

We are currently testing our new network rendering and are seeing some great results. We have tied in all of our machines in the office right now and are just ripping through stuff. Give it a few weeks, and NR will be available.

@Speedster - we were running on a 24 core system (12 physical / 12 virtual cores). Make sure to check out other providers like PSSC Labs - www.pssclabs.com. Another option is to build a couple of computers yourself and network them. This is certainly the cheapest option.

br3ttman

Looking forward to Network Rendering!  ;)  We just submitted our "KeyShot optimized" workstation orders over the past few days and it'd be great it we could also network them together.

DonChunior

Quote from: Thomas Teger on February 08, 2012, 05:48:43 AM
If you want to reduce render times by 75% you will need to add 3 more cpu's of the kind you described.

We are currently testing our new network rendering and are seeing some great results. We have tied in all of our machines in the office right now and are just ripping through stuff. Give it a few weeks, and NR will be available.

Ok, in principle then I need 4 Slaves with 12 (6+6) cores.

And what's about the RAM? Does also each slave need 24 GB?
Or does only the master need so much RAM (because it puts together the results)?

Network rendering for version 2.3.2 is already available, isn't it? That's what our reseller said.

What will be the major enhancements of network rendering in version 3?

Regards, DonChunior

guest84672

Yes - you want the same amount of RAM on the slaves. Your own machine can act as a slave as well.

The new network rendering has the following improvements:
- Easy install and administration
- Auto-detection of slaves and master
- Add and remove slaves easily, even while rendering
- Network render queue
- Load balancing based on available cores per machine

It really is no comparison to what we had for KeyShot 2.

Imz

Hey Guys,

I have access to a Boxx RenderPRO12, which sits on my officemate's desk; I would really appreciate a pointer to a discussion on how to tap into it!!

PhilippeV8

will it be possible to setup slaves that only become "available" outside office hours ?
further more, if you work on a PC, will it be possible to add a mac as slave ?

guest84672

Yes Mac and PC can be masters and slaves. The whole scheduling thing and so forth will be part of version 1.x.

DriesV

Will the new network rendering stuff be a part of the KS 3.1 update? Will it be available to all KS 3 Pro users?
We currently have one KS 3 Pro NL + animation license. I would love to go the distributed rendering way.

greetings,
Dries

guest84672

Yes Network Rendering will be part of the 3.1 release. Initially it will be only available to KeyShot 3 Pro users at an additional fee.

PhilippeV8

Thomas,

I have just received my late Xmas gift here at work ... when I came in this morning there were 2 pc's at my desk.  So I'm wondering ... the slaved pc's, will they need KS installed/licensed ?

guest84672

No they don't. It is all controlled through a license file that contains the number of cores that you can add to your network render farm.