Another 1923 Truck render by Tim Feher

Started by Speedster, February 02, 2012, 09:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

Tim gave me permission to post another astounding render he did of my 1923 Model TT work truck, and I chose to create a new thread so I could wax philosophical for a minute.  I apologize for the length.  Working with Tim has been a real eye opener for me, and hopefully we all have and can benefit from his insight.  I certainly have!

I've been a Forum member for a long time now, at least in KeyShot years.  I've seen all of our work steadily improve as we develop new skills, share and discuss with each other, and especially, practice, practice, practice!  Sure we beat each other up a bit, but always without malice, and always with the best intentions to help each other capture our very best.  Our product and automobile renderings are becoming truly pro-level, the pros are over the top, and it's due in no small measure to the amazing KeyShot tools the guys and gals at Luxion have created for us.

But something else is happening also.  Much of the work being shared on the Forum has moved beyond the typical into the realm of Fine Art.  Especially from Tim, Egon, Antoine and others.  KeyShot has given us the tools, and now we're beginning to use them in ways we may not have expected.  Think of Tim's now famous "White Charger", Egon's provocative and mind bending imagery, and Antoine's stunningly elegant images right off the pages of the world's leading fashon magazines- 1930's meets the 21st Century.  Others, too many to count, have taken mundane products illustrations to new levels.

This is especially true for me.  In looking back at my work, and my own progression, I see that my main problem, and challenge, is to "plant" my model into the environment, to place it in space and time, so to speak.  Yes, it's about the weight slightly flattening the tires, physical details like that.  But it's really more about unifing the entire image, so that as your eye travels over it it does not stop at any given place, unless that place is where you, as the artist, wants you to.  It's about feeling the dimensionality and third-dimension.  My mom, a professional artist for 70 years, used to say "you paint that which you don't see".

Anyway, if you've made it through to this point, take a careful look at Tim's new render.  My model, my backplate, but his fresh eye.  Subtle tweaks like a slight rotation of the front wheels, just a bit of tilt, masterful composition and cropping, and how it relates to the critter in the barn door.  Look at how everything gels into one beautiful image.  And think about what we can learn from it.

Thanks, Tim!

Bill G

feher

Thanks Bill, You did all the work. I just rendered it.
This was a lot of fun for me. Thanks.
Here is a larger image of it.
Tim
PS Whats next Bill ? ;D

PhilippeV8

Skint

Hey Bill, Tim

I dont post a lot, but I keep an eye on you all regularly!  Just wanted to pop in one this one and say congrats on the great job you have both done.  Nice to see people communicating and working together.  Top Stuff !

Chad Holton

Great work guys! Hats off to both of you.

Speedster

Last image is awesome!  Vignette is a powerful tool to enhance the mood, and it's always interesting how it affects the toning.  FYI- the backplate is at the Gas and Steam Engine Museum, in Vista, California.  60 acres of rust heaven!  That's why I did not sponge out the chain link fence, since it's a museum.

What's next?  Just finished a "Van" version, and am playing around with what to do with it.  The post-WW1 ambulance concept is interesting, and I'm working up the period correct camo texture for it.  All graphics as decals. This is just a place-holder backplate I shot at the Vail Ranch History Center in Temecula, CA.  All wrong but at least there's something.  Gotta hit the road to shoot new backplates!  Then there will be a fuel truck and tow truck.  Then a Gould (what else?) Steam Fire Engine and then on to a whole new series of vintage Packards.  In between making a living!

Bill G

cash68

I'd do some post processing in Photoshop to throw some dust/dirt on the tires.   They look really fake when they're 100% perfect and clean.  Same goes for the weathered wood... it's too consistent.   Dodge and burn some stains onto it.  :)

feher

Thanks Cash for the suggestions.
I will look into doing that.
Thanks
Tim