Opacity Settings

Started by ldichiara, February 14, 2012, 08:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldichiara

Hello all -
Have a question Im hoping someone can help with; I have a solidworks model which I am bringing into Keyshot 3 (can also do 2 if necessary);
For the sake of simplicity, let's assume my model is a spray paint can - with a colored cap on it. What I am trying to do is evaluate that colored cap with varying degrees of opacity set to it - likely in increments of 10% - with the intent of revealing what is underneath the cap.
The point of the exercise is to evaluate before talking to a vendor for production a desired level of translucency in the cap. Is there an easy way to do this in Keyshot? I queried this before and was told to use opacity maps - so I've gone and done that - making 250x250pixels of solid gray color in increments of 10% and then saving them out as both JPG and TIF files; this has yielded results but it doesn't appear accurate to me - so I am either setting this up incorrectly or it isn't working.
Could anyone provide me with a potential solution to achieve what I am after?

Thank you -

Lenny DiChiara

ldichiara

to build on my initial question - if I am using opacity maps - are there preferred setups for creating those maps?
I've built mine in photoshop, 250x250 pixels in size, RGB and saved out as JPG and TIFF Formats....

jhiker

Can't you get the desired results by using a clear plastic and altering the transmission sliders?
Or do you want to say, for example, 'I want this cap in grey acrylic, 50% opaque'..