Import SW 2012 files into Keyshot 2.3.2?

Started by sonicdesign, February 27, 2012, 07:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonicdesign

Can I import SW 2012 files into Keyshot 2.3.2?  I downloaded a plugin, but it seems not to work.

guest84672

The plugin will allow you to launch KeyShot 2 from inside SolidWorks 2012.

sonicdesign

Thank you Thomas.

Good to know, but I don't see KeyShot anywhere in SW 2012 to launch it.  Have you tested the plugin for 2012 - SP02 or do you offer different plugins?
I used: keyshot2_solidworks_plugin_1.0(2)

guest84672

You have to go under tools > Add-ins and activate it.

sonicdesign

It does not show up under add-ins to be activated.  Reinstalled, rebooted, same thing.
I am working around it via step files, but I like to get back to where I was before upgrading to SW 2012.
Thanks for your help.

guest84672

Did you run the installer? Did you get an error message? I am running SW 2012 with both the KS 2 and KS 3 plugin without any problems.

sonicdesign

No error messages. Do you run SW 2012 with SP2 or SP1?

guest84672

sonicdesign

Thomas,

I reinstalled the plugin once again and got a message that the installation was successful, yet I can not open SW 2012 files in KeyShot nor can I launch KeyShot in SW.

I upgraded to KeyShot 2.3 quite recently, because I could not open SW 2011 files and it seems that I am facing the very same situation just 4 months later.  I don't know if it matters if I am running SP1 or SP2, because the information on your plugin on your site is limited. I am in the middle of a project and like to resolve this without spending the $ to upgrade to KS 3.

Thank you.

guest84672

Chad will give you call and get it sorted.

sonicdesign

I was on the phone with Chad a couple of times and even allowed him to remotely view my desktop to assure that I did the right thing. I am still in the limbo.

According to him and a PlugIn guru on your end this SW plugin, which by default loads into the KeyShot folder (C:/Program Files/KeyShot 2/Plugins), has to be opened in SW as followed:  Open SW/ file open /select "add-in" as file type - or just drag and drop the ddl file into the SW window and supposedly KS will show under SW tools/add-ins to be activated. 

Unfortunately these directions do not work in my case. I tried it multiple times on multiple computers with different OS and both 34 and 64 bit. BTW. Was this posted on your site or should I know all this?

Is there anyone out there having similar experiences or a solution to this problem?

:-\

cash68

I am having the same problem.

Chad told me "KeyShot 2 will not import SW2012 files. As for the plug-in, we are having a few users with this same problem and are looking into the issue."

RoyWingspan

Hello,

I am having the same problem with the Solidworks 2012 and Keyshot 2.3.2. 

I noticed that the latest Keyshot 2 plugin for solidworks is labeled as version 1.2, but when installing, it refers to itself as version 1.11.  Is it possible that an older plugin has been mislabelled and version 1.2 does work?

guest84672

This is just a naming thing - 1.11 is in fact 1.2.

Could it be an administrator issue on your machine?

RoyWingspan

I doubt it's an adminstrator issue because I have administrator ability on this machine.

One thing that I noticed from SW 2011 to SW 2012 was the folder naming convention.  Instead of putting the Solidworks files in a folder with the year (Solidworks 2011), the folder is called (SolidWorks Corp).  Could this cause a problem with the plugin for locating the proper files?