Maserati GT - Outside Market parking

Started by tsunami, May 22, 2012, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skint

tsunami

And here the final result after ps....
Thanks for your suggestions as always...like..dislike...
Thanks

tsunami

And here also a postwork  result..made from Tim feher..he was kindly to work on it..
Thanks

CAClark

In terms of the lighting and reflection, the cars integrate really well, but they are a bit crisp on the backplate, and visually they look really out of alignment with the ground. Personally it's something I find quite tricky at times (often actually). Not least because I'll be happy at how it looks, and then see it an hour later and think it's not right again.

Cheers!

tsunami

Quote from: CAClark on June 01, 2012, 03:28:15 AM
In terms of the lighting and reflection, the cars integrate really well, but they are a bit crisp on the backplate, and visually they look really out of alignment with the ground. Personally it's something I find quite tricky at times (often actually). Not least because I'll be happy at how it looks, and then see it an hour later and think it's not right again.

Cheers!
..I think maybe i must work more hardly on postwork to make them a less crisp...
That is not a backplate but a complete  environment, and i worked hard to find right alignment..and i thought was aligned..that was my impression.. ;) but i will look for keep a new alignment.
So how you would work on it, for keep better alignment? I appreciate every suggestion from you and others..this forum is make me improve my keyshot experience..so i'm glad to recieve every critiques and suggestions... ;)
Thanks

CAClark

Hmmm, well in comparison to the painted line of the parking lot, the alignments are thrown out, and it may be that the essential alignment is close/right..... but that the focal length of the camera isn't matched with the environment. Maybe you are using a longer focal length, and need to be more wide angle?

Cheers!

PhilippeV8

The pink line shows a 90

voxelman

Quote from: CAClark on June 01, 2012, 04:29:50 AM
Hmmm, well in comparison to the painted line of the parking lot, the alignments are thrown out, and it may be that the essential alignment is close/right..... but that the focal length of the camera isn't matched with the environment. Maybe you are using a longer focal length, and need to be more wide angle?

Cheers!
This is one of the biggest challenges that I have encountered when working with back plates. It seems like an opportunity for a new Keyshot feature that would allow marking of the back plate for software analysis to determine correct camera settings for the model as Philippe has shown above. And also possibly to determine the correct ground height.

PhilippeV8

I do this alignment stuff quite often at work ... and I can tell you 2 things.

1) turn on ground grid during alignment .. it sure helps a lot (KS team, we still need a toggle key for that ;)

2) (in my case) I work with pictures taken by salesmen or ones I took myself and I always ask some dimensions from items in the shot.  This way I can sometimes make a simple model that looks like something in the shot, which helps a great deal as a reference for alignment.  Obviously, that don't work if you get your backplate from somewhere online ..

voxelman

That is a very creative solution to Keyshot's limitations in this area and I will put it to use immediately.

Since the things I have been rendering are small relative to the customer's expectations the photos I use for back plates often contain coins and six and 12 inch steel rules. These offer reference points to align with the grid. Having a model ruler will make the match up much easier. Can't wait to try it.

But an embedded tool would be so much better. I envision an interactive tool that would allow the selection of key features in the back plate image. The program would use these clues to automatically set the correct camera attributes. The tool could also provide various processed versions of the back plate image to emphasize key features.

Ed

"... I envision an interactive tool" 

Voxelman, motion tracking software available for programs like After Effects will do exactly what you envision.  To track live action video with CG objects, the camera settings must match exactly. 

Same issue as placing a static CG rendered car on a photo back plate made with an unknown camera. 

The motion tracking software tweaks the "back plate" as needed to correct lens distortion and match the camera focal length settings of the foreground CG object.  No reason a simpler tool for KeyShot could not be developed to work much the same way.

Watch an example here:  http://www.pfhoe.com/tutorials.php?videoId=18

Ed

voxelman

Thank you Ed. That is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.

For those interested here is the link to part 2 of the example Ed suggested:

http://www.pfhoe.com/userprojects.php?videoId=19

abedsabeh

Hi Tsunami,

I think the car proportion is a bit small compared to the cars in the background and to the white marks of the parking lot, I can see it from the length of the light brown car, it looks almost the same width as the parking lot car area. IMO.

CAClark

Adjusting the backplate retrospectively is a nvel idea I'd never considered, but in theory if the exif data is intact (or at least noted) so that Keyshot's camera can be matched to the photo, then matching in to the backplate would be much more straight forward. i think it's tricky when you don't know the native focal length and you are trying to guess it. In that situation you can easily be on a hiding to nothing.

Cheers!

voxelman

I've added a feature request to the Wish List section of the forum so that this thread can return it's focus to Tsunami's efforts. Please add your comments, clarifications or suggestions. I've referenced this thread as it shows clearly how useful a tool to support back plate correction and analysis would be.

http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,4023.0.html

Thanks Tsunami for providing the inspiration for this line of discussion.