How do I achieve this "faceted diamond" look?

Started by Zander85, March 09, 2012, 09:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zander85

I am looking to create crisp diamond facets. I have attached a quick reference photo illustrating the look I am after. Anyone know how I could achieve this look. I also have photoshop. Anyone know of either a photoshop tutorial on how to achieve the "faceted look" or possibly a way to achieve this same look with keyshot and maybe hdri light studio.

Thanks,

Zander

Ed

My Diamond Render Tips:

Make sure the stone model is physically correct.

Make sure the stone geometry does not intersect with any other geometry in the scene.  Leave a very small gap around the stone and any adjoining objects.

Use an HDR with multiple small light sources.  The "Retail Store" HDR used in the attached image works very well for diamonds.

Reflect light into the back of the stone by setting your diamond on a plane that has the platinum metal material applied (add a little roughness). You can always mask out this background in PS.

Ray Bounces = 32

Adjust the diamond material Abbe for desired level of "fire" in the stone.

The attached image is straight from KeyShot with no post editing.  With some PS work you can approach that look, but I like the straight KS version :)  If you really want that exact look, copy or make an illustration and apply it to the stone as a label.

Ed

Zander85

Ed,

Thank you so much for the well thought out response. Very helpful indeed thank you friend.
;)
-Zander