Main Menu

Moving Models

Started by m2tts, March 09, 2012, 07:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m2tts

I'm finding it really frustrating moving things around in KeySHot, always have (mostly because KeyShot refuses to use real units). I'm doing a series of renderings for a presentation and creating a three view orthographic rendering of each concept. I have brought all the models in at once from an assembly (cause I don't trust that they will all come in the same scale if I bring them in separately).  Then it's a matter of duplicating the collection of models (You can't duplicate subassemblies?) and transforming them to create the three views at once. I click on the duplicate bundle I want to move and rotate and enter the appropriate numbers into the "position" dialog (angles are easy, but numbers for translation are a guess cause they mean nothing). Then I move and rotate the next duplicate collection. If I go back and highlight the previous duplicate, the transform and rotate numbers in the dialog boxes are all back to zero; not the numbers I had entered to move them.

Well not all the numbers are to zero; the Z translation number is an arbitrary number that showed up when the model was first imported. Why all the position numbers aren't zero on import is a mystery to me, and why the numbers don't reveal any translations or rotations after you've moved them means this needs fixing.

guest84672

We are aware of this issue and will be addressing this in the next update. You should be importing the subassemblies separately so they become their own objects inside the KeyShot scene.

m2tts

I don't like to import them separately as I don't trust KeyShot to import them at the same scale every time. I had issues earlier in this project where the scale on import was just slightly off and had to be adjusted. I could start my standard rant here about real units, but I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing it.

idesignstuff

Here here.
Same story.

One workaround we are using is to assemble a big empty box that encloses everything you will need to import, then bring each model into KS with the box.
The box sets the scale the same for each model, but then you have to hide or delete the box, and the xform is still just as meaningless.

KeyShot

The import using the same transform as previous model should address the issue of importing multiple subassemblies. If you have found that it does not work please let us know, so we can fix it.