Import scale preset/controls please

Started by idesignstuff, March 14, 2012, 01:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest84672

I just posted an update to the SolidWorks plugin in the plugin section:

http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,3547.0.html

If you export the model from inside Solidworks into KeyShot first, you will no longer have a scale issue when you import a second object into the scene. Make sure to keep "From Previous" checked.

m2tts

Sorry Thomas, but that plugin is not working as advertised. The initial model pushed out from SW may not be scaled above 1.00, but the transform dialog says it's scaled 63.675. When the file is saved; reopened and another SW file is imported into the scene, it is blown way out of scale form the previous import.

DriesV

I hope someone can clear something up for me...

Does this scaling issue only occur with the SolidWorks importer?
I use SolidWorks as well, but due to the geometry artefacts I often got when importing native SW data in the early KS 3 releases, I have since settled on a workflow of exporting STEP data from native SW files. These STEP files are used to get geometry in KeyShot.

Doing things this way I haven't run into a scaling issue with newly imported STEP geometry and/or existing bip files via the "from previous..." route.

greetings,
Dries

guest84672

There shouldn't be a difference when you import directly. We will look into the plugin issue.

m2tts

Any word on this issue?

I've found that after the initial push out to KeyShot using the plugin the scale reads in the positive numbers like 27.5169. When importing another SW part using the direct importer, the Transform box says it's the same scale (27.5169), but is huge. 1000 times huge. So entering .0275 into the scale box gets you extremely close to the same size; but not exactly as you can't enter enough digits to match the scale perfectly. And of course, after you've saved and opened the file again, the transform says that for the import the scale is now 27.5169 (lost history).

KeyShot

guest84672

One thing you can do is adjust the scale of the original object as well. So essentially you are matching the scale from both sides. I know, a inconvenient workaround, but it will work. We are looking into the scale issue.