Any clues on Seamless Tiling?

Started by Speedster, April 08, 2012, 10:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi guys;

Does anyone have any special tricks to creating Seamless Tiling?  I'm trying to create a "Faced Granite", from several excellent jpeg's I shot.  I brought them into Photoshop and put a bunch all over the place, rotating and blending.  Then into FilterForge for what I hoped was a seamless, and also to create a bump.  But there's still a pronounced tiling effect on KS regardless of scale, etc.

Any clues?  This would help a lot of us I know...  Jeff, how about adding tiling into your next great webinar?

Bill G

br3ttman

Bill,

The best trick is to bring your image into Photoshop like you started, but then go to Filter/Other/Offset.  Enter a nominal horizontal and vertical offset value to basically 'push the edges' into the image and then use the 'Clone Stamp' to paint them out.  Afterwards I typically, enter another 'Offset' value to make sure I've blended everything adequately.

Poke around in some of the earlier tutorials and/or webinars on the KeyShot website.  Somewhere in there, our guys at KeyShot have done a nice job walking through this process a couple times.  You can also do a YouTube search on 'Photoshop Seamless Textures', and you'll quickly run across a bunch of videos tutorials covering this simple technique.

Speedster

Thanks so much for the help!
Bill G

br3ttman

Bill, Glad to be of help!

To Our Friends at KeyShot: 'Creating Seamless Textures' is one of the more common texture map related requests and would be a nice stand alone tutorial in your website tutorials section.  ;)  Any chance you could break out that portion from one of one of your previous webinars to add to the tutorials?

rkulshrestha

Try Genetica, brilliant program!

Shivani

PhilippeV8

yakas

seamless tiling is very simple. (In Photoshop)

1. Create your texture. It can be any size, but this example will be 8" x 8".

2. Drag guide lines to the exact horizontal center and the exact vertical center. Or use the selection tool option "fixed size", make it 4"x4"

3. Select the top left area - make a new layer with selection

4. Repeat for all 4 sections

5. Inverting - Move the two layers on the left over to the right - Repeat for right layers. Then move the bottom 2 layers to top - repeat for top layers

6. Make sure nothing is overlapping or there are no gaps.

7. Flatten image

8. Select All and create a new pattern. it will tile seamlessly.