Main Menu

Floor reflection roughness

Started by Despot, April 24, 2012, 07:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

I don't think anyone has requested this previously, but I may stand corrected...  :)

Floor Reflections : A Roughness parameter for glossy reflections with samples coupled with an IOR slider...

I am aware that geometry can be used, thats what I do at the moment, but it can be a little bit of a pain to setup on occasion

DriesV

I'll give you a big +1  ;).

I'm using a flat plane model right now. Combined with an opacity map with a very smooth radial gradient it can give nice results, but I find the EV is often too prominent in the reflections. This makes the plane look like a dish. Sometimes this is OK, sometimes it is not so OK...

greetings,
Dries

br3ttman

+1  :) - This has been requested a few times.  I'd also like to be able to adjust IOR, add roughness and even add textures. 

Personally, I've created a 6x6 square surface plane that I'll pull in and scale for the floor and/or as emissive light/reflection cards.  It's quick and all, but sometime's managing the edge of the imported floor plane is a pain.  I keep having to readjust it larger if I want a low angle shot but don't want to see the back edge of the floor plane.  It'd be cool if KeyShot had a virtual floor that would blend into the horizon/at infinity and could take materials and texture maps.

Another nice prop is to create your self a "seamless" that gives you a backdrop and rolls into the table surface just like photographers do.

Ed

+1  "... It'd be cool if KeyShot had a virtual floor that would blend into the horizon/at infinity and could take materials and texture maps."

Yep, same issues here.   A floor plane at low angle positions shows the edges, even when the plane is extremely large.  I agree, it would be nice to have a built-in floor plane option that can be assigned materials just like imported geometry.

Ed