Parts/Assemblies Import Backwards

Started by br3ttman, March 30, 2012, 09:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

br3ttman

I really appreciate the ability to choose 'Y up' for importing ProE and Solidworks parts in the correct vertical orientation.  However, I notice they always come in backwards.  So the first thing I need to do is rotate imported component 180 degrees, or rotate my entire scene.  Not that big of an issue, but it messed me up recently on a project with a symmetrical front and back, and I didn't catch it until well into a scene and had to do quite a bit of rework.  I also noticed you had the same issue with the watch you imported during your last webinar. 

Not urgent, but this would be a 'nice to have'.  ;)

JeffM

We'll have it adjusted for 3.2.

While you wait for that, download the attached "startup.bip" file and drop it into the C:\Program Files\KeyShot3\bin folder. Allow it to overwrite the old one.

This has the default camera adjusted to look at the front of models.

Let me know how that works for you!

br3ttman

Jeff,

Thanks for fixing this in the next release.  I did download your startup.bip, and it's better; the models now import forward, but they're still rotated from ProE's default orientation by 90 degrees. 

BTW, I'd like to explore the latest KeyShot Plug-In for ProE (Wildfire 4.0) but I can't get it to work on my home machine.  At work it functions correctly, but at home I don't think it installs correctly, because I get the error "Pro/TOOLKIT registry file C:\ProE-Data . . . . . protk.dat: applciation 'KeyShot3' failed to start . . . "  Any ideas on a work around to get it to install correctly?

DonChunior

Open the protk.dat file with a text editor and check, if the paths in it are correct.
If this doesn't solve you problem, please post the complete error message.

Regards, DonChunior

br3ttman

DonChunior/KeyShot Team:

The ProE plug-in/protk.dat file is still hit and miss for me.  Both at home and at work I've downloaded the plug-in and followed the installation and post-installation instructions to a 'T', and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I have an older Dell Precision station at work, and the plug-in works just fine there.  But at home with my IBuyPower i7-950 system and now today at work with my new Dell Alienware system I get this same error message:

*NOTE:  I'm also copying this posting to the Plugins etc. section of the forum

JeffM

Can you get the correct orientation by choosing a different up direction in the import settings menu?

If that's not it, can you show me a screenshot of how it's importing and how you would expect it to import (show in the modeling software).

Speedster

Jeff, I get the same situation, and orientation with the triad X-Y-Z on import does not fix it.  Model will import according to your setting, but still "backwards".  SolidWorks 2011 SP5.  KS 3.1.48. 
Bill G

br3ttman

Jeff,

Sorry, this has been a long reply.  You had asked if I could send you screenshots to show you "default" part orientations after import from ProE/Solidworks to KeyShot.  Below is an iPhone concept with a red arrow pointing to ProE and Solidworks' default front views. In the past, when I imported parts/assemblies from ProE and Solidworks into KeyShot, the red arrow would have pointed to the back.  Now, after you had me update my startup.bip file, the files import with the arrow pointing to the right.  (*Note:  During the opening/import procedure I need to select 'Y' axis as up). 

All-in-all, over the past few revs, the default import is getting better!  in 2010, Bunkspeed/Keyshot would import ProE parts and assemblies rotated 90 degrees face down and backwards.  With the ability to choose 'y' axis up they just came in backwards.  Then with your updated start-up.bip they're just rotated 90 degrees, and I can live with that.  Still, if it's not too much trouble, is there another adjustment you (or I?) could make to the startup.bip so the files are in the same default orientations?  It would make it easier when I import multiple different models. 

Thanks!