Sharing/selling materials and making use of a material ball.

Started by EdwinKlijn, May 25, 2010, 12:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Townsend

Jason and Cholton,

These look great to say the least! I love the idea.  I do like the material ball with the larger logo better though.  Here is the .eps file for the icon if either of you want to experiment with that at all.  

Brian

JTrusty

QuoteThe light hitting the surface on the bottom may be a bit too hot. Either rotate the environment, or change the height or something. But it looks great. BTW - have you tried and used the wood texture as a bump map?

Thanks Thomas. Yes, I have used the wood textures also as the bump map. However, I also went a step further and created my own normal maps for each of the wood textures as well. The samples I have posted are from my "polished" wood library.  ;)

QuoteNo more leather on the machine gun to get a cast iron look ;-).

Hey now! That leather shader can be extremely versatile if you push it.

QuoteBrian will upload the KeyShot icon in eps for for you.

Much appreciated. I grab a jpg from the Keyshot homepage and tossed in a sketch to create the logo I have now. The jpg was pretty small, so it was hard to get the proportions right.

:)

Robert V.

What is an eps file good for? To me it just looks like a normal picture.

EdwinKlijn

Quote from: PredatorKS on May 26, 2010, 01:27:28 PM
What is an eps file good for? To me it just looks like a normal picture.

Hi there,
most modelling tools allow you to import an eps file which is then automatically converted to lines/curves.

JTrusty

QuoteWhat is an eps file good for? To me it just looks like a normal picture.

It would have been quicker with a dxf for me. However, I simply opened the .eps in Illustrator and exported it to dxf. The dxf can be imported in Solidworks and used as a sketch to extrude or cut a surface.

I will have an updated preview in a few...

Thanks for the eps Brian.  :)

Robert V.

I wish I knew this a long time ago, could have helped me a lot! thanks!

Ralf-S

With Moi3D you can import *. eps, *.pdf, *.ai files
Select the path/curve/sketch and extrude.   :)

Here is a nice source with a lot of vector files.
http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/

EdwinKlijn

Brian, 1st off, thx for the eps. This hides my bad tracing skills very well ;-)

1 more go before i head to bed.

red material: extended logo

orange material: extended logo + diffuse inner ball
(light around the logo is quite bad...just a quick render)

copper material: indented logo

black carbon material: indented logo + diffuse inner ball

The greyish background becomes quite obvious with dark materials.
The overall look is way too grey as well (i guess)
I might use a lighter BG when i wake up (also have some other ideas to bother you all with :-)

Have a good night/day.

Edwin

JTrusty

Quote...the light hitting the surface on the bottom may be a bit too hot. Either rotate the environment, or change the height or something.

Hot spot gone. I also imported my ground plane and built a quick grid texture. Gridded ground plane is ideal for glass and other reflective surfaces as seen below. Used the eps provided by Brian and increased the KeyShot logo. Also incorporated the Keyshot trademarked brand name. I think the focus should still be concentrated on the "material" which is why I went back to a single 50% grey diffuse material for the base and sub sphere.

guest84672

SWEEEEETT - I think you can drop the TM though - too much in this case.

This is awesome, guys.

rkulshrestha

Velly Velly niceee! We want all these yestelday  :)

The black one with the carbon fibre finish, why doesnt the base have the same finish?

Shivani

JTrusty

Alrighty then.

Worked it a bit more today. After much deliberation I realized that there wasn't sufficient features in the model to illustrate all the various material types. We had plenty of smooth surfaces ( sphere, fillets, etc... ) but not enough hard edges and small features in close proximity. Hence the addition around the base skirt.

:)

Here are a few sample materials

I also remove the ground plane. To get the look I was after, the DOF quality was killing the render times. Instead, I isolated and rendered the ground plane and created a backplate out of it. All the renders above completed in under 5 minutes each. Most around the 3 minute marker. And this is on my old Core2 Duo machine while running several other heavy applications in the background.

;D

guest84672

Very nice - now ... the only thing missing is the sub-surface?

Speedster

Looking really nice.  Now, let's invent a board game so we can play with them! 

Seriously, what I miss seeing is a "flat", or planar, surface, ideally vertical.  Materials and mapping are quite different when seen on a flat surface.  However, since the purpose is to test and share materials, this design is quite adequate.

Good job!

Bill G

JTrusty

Quotethe only thing missing is the sub-surface?

Correct. Still considering what the geometry of the sub-surface should be. Strips, ring, small sphere(s)...  what are your thoughts on shape and placement?