Pick Pivot point with the numbers

Started by mmmster3d, May 23, 2012, 02:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmmster3d

I've wished for a while I could essentially move the whole ground plane without having to alt+cmnd+RMB as that is somewhat sloppy, sometimes I just need to shift the whole object (and reflection/shadows together) just a few pixels up/down/left/right and I've been working around this by turning the grids on and alt+cmnd+RMB but I don't have the control I could have if I could adjust it by the numbers.

guest84672

Why are you not using the scene tree? Click on the model at the top level and move it. Or are you using 1.9?

mmmster3d

its essentially the same as 'move object' though- its simply translating the object (which is great) BUT it doesn't change the ground plane.  I want to shift the Object with its reflection and shadow all at the same time.
As it is now, by using 'translate' in the scene tree or translate by RMB and moving object, when you move the object it moves away from the ground plane, not with it.  so the reflection moves further away from the model or too close, same with the shadow. 

but when you ctrl + alt RMB on the object it 'picks a new pivot point', same as going into Project settings- camera- 'Select "look at" point' the entire ground grid moves- the object and its shadow and reflection all move together.  BUT you cannot do this by the numbers anywhere I can see.

I hope someone can prove me wrong though, or the programmers see this and implement it to Keyshot soon :D

guest84672

Sorry - but I am confused. Changing the look at point doesn't change anything other than the "look at" point, which resets the pivot point.

CTRL + ALT RMB moves the object in the xz plane.

mmmster3d

My apologies- I may have explained poorly or misused some terminology.. 

import a model into keyshot, turn on reflections and turn on ground grid.

translate it in the scene tree or by RMB + move object + translate.  Note the reflection does not move with the model because the ground grid does not move.  I mean yes the reflection moves and follows the car but I am trying to shift the entire scene including the ground grid up down left or right and keep the shadow/ reflection in the same position in relation to the object. 

Now try ctrl + alt RMB and see how the ground grid moves with the object, keeping the reflection/shadow at their respective position.  Also 'select look at point' *seems* to do the same thing, at least in how the ground grid moves with the object.

guest84672

Actually - I was wrong - CTRL + ALT + RMB sets the pivot point, same as setting the pivot point in the camera tab. It does automatically center the new pivot point relative to the realtime window.