Import scaling KS3.2

Started by mgrant, June 08, 2012, 05:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgrant

In KeyShot 3.1 importing new models into an existing scene would keep everything at the same scale; with 3.2 it's gone back to crazy scales.  For instance, in the attached image the model imported from SolidWorks comes in at about 6m in length (measured using the DOF tool) when another copy is imported into the scene it's about 6km long (again measured with the DOF tool). This may a topic for another post but, the new undo feature, undoes actions that haven't taken place.

jhiker

Agreed.
I saved a valve model as a BIP file from Alibre.
I then opened the BIP file in Keyshot.
I then imported the same BIP file into the already opened one.
At this stage it looked like this first picture (same size)...
I then saved the BIP file and closed Keyshot.
I then started Keyshot and opened the saved BIP file and it looked like the second picture (sizes are madly out of scale).
I do not have a clue what's going on.

KeyShot

Can you share your bip file with support@luxion.com then we will investigate the issue.

guest84672

@mgrant - what are the scale values of the respective parts?

Did you use the plugin for the first import, and then the direct import for the second import?

mgrant

In the example that I had posted I used the plugin from SolidWorks and then importing the second copy.  Another guy in my department had been able to successfully import new parts into an existing .bip until the 3.2 update when the scales went all off.  For that assembly he opened it straight in KeyShot without using the plugin.

guest84672

Please make sure that you use the current plugin. The link to the latest version is posted in the download section of the forum.

I would need to see an example for the scale issue along with the steps you took to get to the result.

jhiker

Quote from: Thomas Teger on June 08, 2012, 09:27:29 AM
@mgrant - what are the scale values of the respective parts?
Thanks for the tip - they had come in at different scales. Changed one from 0.093 to 1.0 and it looks OK now.

mgrant

Updating to the current version plugin fixed the fixed the issue relating to importing with the plugin.  It did not however fix the issue with importing models into existing bip files; in these cases the scales on all the parts are equal but completely unrelated.  We're also noticing some strange issues when dragging color spheres, material links are changed and materials applied even when the color sphere is dragged away from the model.  But that's probably an issue for another topic.

guest84672

Are these bip files that have been created with previous versions of KeyShot?

mgrant

They were created with 3.1.48.

guest84672

This makes sense. It should not happen with newly created bip files using KeyShot 3.2.

mgrant

Quote from: Thomas Teger on June 11, 2012, 08:06:47 AM
This makes sense. It should not happen with newly created bip files using KeyShot 3.2.

I fail to see how going from 3.1 to 3.2 would cause such an issue, did the file format change?

As it stands, in order to be able to quickly drop new or modified parts into a scene and have them import with some semblance congruity to what is already there, I would have throw out my bip from 3.1 and make a new one for 3.2.  Then plausibly, I will have to then do the same when 3.3 comes out, and then 3.4?

Or do I stop updating the software altogether until I've finished with a project and no longer have a need for the bip.

That sounds asinine.

Robb63

I had the same thing with files from 2.1 to 2.2, then 2.2 to 3.1. It is a huge inconvenience to rebuild a scene each time there is a new version of KS.

I constantly need to build on older files for the packaging work I do, matching camera angles, lighting, etc... the scaling issues have been to me the biggest (only?) issue with using Keyshot since day one! This needs to get fixed once a for all!!

:(

guest84672

It is fixed in KeyShot 3.2. There were some fundamental issues in 3.1 where KeyShot wouldn't remember the scale nor transformation on the part level. Moving forward, this will no longer have to change.

mgrant

For the time being then I'll have to stick with 3.1. Recreating bips would take far too much time, its undo feature works and it doesn't mess with material links when dragging color spheres around the model.