i7 3930K - KeyShot Pro 3.2.32 - 83 fps

Started by DriesV, June 07, 2012, 01:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Okay,

My display setup and system configuration have changed quite a bit since the last time I posted here.

I used to have 2 W7 installation: 1 with Quadro driver for CAD work on Quadro 2000, 1 with GeForce driver for gaming on GTX670 and GPU accelerated apps (Quadro driver can't install GTX670!).
This setup proved to be too much of a hassle.

I decided to switch to a single W7 installation. I still have both the Quadro2000 and GTX670. They are both running on the latest GeForce driver. I do get all the benefits of the Quadro2000 that I need, even with it running on the GeForce driver.
My prime reason for using the Quadro is that it enables RealView Graphics in SolidWorks (my main CAD package). I like to use this when modelling with surfaces. I don't know exactly what benefits you get from using a Quadro in other 3D software. I guess most of the time it makes sense, EVEN THOUGH Quadros are hardware-wise underspecced compared to GeForce cards. Nvidia decided to simply not allow much OpenGL functionality on their GeForce cards through driver blocks.

**REMEMBER!**
When using a Quadro and GTX on a single Windows installation, it is important to install the GEFORCE driver! GeForce drivers do recognize and install Quadro cards. Quadro drivers can't install GeForce cards!

I have four display cables permanently hooked up to my workstation.
The Quadro2000 is connected to my primary display through DisplayPort and to my secondary display through DVI.
The GTX670 is connected to my primary display through DVI and to my secondary display through HDMI.
I DON'T MIX outputs: either both displays are displaying through Quadro or both are displaying through GTX.

As to switching between Quadro and GTX output...
I use a very handy tool called DisplayFusion (http://www.displayfusion.com). It does all kinds of cool stuff with displays, taskbars, windows etc.
One thing it does very well indeed is manage display profiles. I have used it to create "CAD&Design" and "Gaming" profiles. The first loads the Quadro display connections; the latter loads the GTX display connections.
DisplayFusion fits neatly in the Windows System Tray and by using the menu from there it is possible to switch between Quadro and GTX in 1-2-3.

No need for dual W7 installations anymore!
Unless you would want to completely separate CAD programs/files and entertainment stuff...
Or unless you absolutely need the Quadro driver for a specific reason...

I know, it's a lot of hassle to go through and there's definitely a lot that can go wrong... But I'd rather have just a single system with as small a footprint as possible on my desk...  ;D

I hope this was helpful.

Dries

jiyang1018

That helps.

I might get a quadro 2000 the version has 2 displayports and 1 dvi since its about $300 to $350. 4000 is about double that.

I can't remember where I read this, but it states that the reasons we pay a lot of money for quadro cards include:
Small market, no competitation, ecc VRAM, all the licensing on drivers. so I supposed nvidia did a lot extra work to quadro drivers to make them specifically good for professional use. 
I use desktop fusion too. I have 3 dell 2408 monitors, and my tri stand is on the way. That is also the reason I want to get quadro 2000 with 3 headers instead quadro 2000-d which has only 2 dvi ports.