File Size Issue

Started by Joe27, May 30, 2010, 04:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe27

Hello everybody!

Importing IGES files from Alias into Keyshot always worked fine for me.
Now I'm working on a rather complex model which pushed the IGES output file size to around 200MB. When I try to import that file into Keyshot I get a constant CPU load of 25% from keyshot_geometry.exe for about an hour or so. However nothing happens and Keyshot finally tells me that the file could not or just ends up doing nothing. I'm working on a Core2Quad with 3GHz and 4GB ram, so I don't think this is a performance problem.

Hope you can help me, I really need to do some presentation renderings.  :'(

JohnnyF

I Have exactly the same issue, except that files that used to open in Bunkspeed will now not open in Keyshot (around 200MB +  IGES files from Alias). I Also have a very highly detailed model (around 1GB IGES!) that does not open in the old Bunkspeed or keyshot, and running this on Quadcore i7 with 8gb RAM.

Joe27

I figured that if you uncheck "Calculate Normals" in the import window, it will usually load some of the large files.

guest84672

That shouldn't have anything to do with it.

As far as the importers go, they are only 32bit. KeyShot 2 will address this.

Joe27

Thanks for your reply Thomas... loking forward to Keyshot 2.
However I found a workaround. If you import the IGES file into Rhino and then save it as .3dm the file will only be half as big and can be imported into keyshot more easily.

JohnnyF

which is OK for people with rhino... looking forward to V2 as well and hoping you'll be able to import larger Iges files, some of the additions look like they will improve my workflow massively.

Cheers

guest84672

@Joe27 - I believe that since you have control over the tessellation in Rhino.