Ferrari cutaway

Started by Tiho Ramovic, June 23, 2012, 11:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiho Ramovic

Hi there, here is my cutaway render of '58 Ferrari ;)
Friend of mine provided me with the 3d model of a chassis which was done (i think) in 3dsmax and exported as .obj,
and 3d model of engine and other components were made by myself in SolidWorks 2010.
Renders were done in KS of course, which were later processed in PS.

I really had a great time making this image, hope you like it  ;)

guest84672

Oh my - this is great. Lighting is a bit "hot" in some areas, especially in the back where it is hitting the flat metal surface.

Also looks like the tires are cutting through the ground plane. The label is mirrored on both tires - how did you apply it? If you use normal map then you can control the depth as far as projection goes. Note: it has to be a label!

Tiho Ramovic

Thanks Thomas, nice to hear that :)
I will fix that lighting problem. It was mistake beacuse I didnt render engine and gas tank in the rear separately but as one, so the lighting
that looked good on engine dont look that good on tank.

As for the tyres, texture and normal map were used and applied them as planar. Tyre and rim were made separately in SolidWorks, and textured separately in KS after which I imported them into main scene and played around a bit with scale and position.
I was affraid that texture wont look good since I took photos of the tyre sidewall by cell phone, but normal map hid all the inperfections   ;)

tsunami

Hi ..awesome idea...it's a really good starting i love it, and i love ferrari for sure..i'm italian ;D
Hm..how u got with keyshot that transparent effect???? :o

KeyShot

Fantastic image! I really like the composition! Minor comment is the tire looks a bit smooth. Perhaps you can roughen it slightly with a bumpmap? Also, there is some noise on the back of the car. Is that intentional?

-- Henrik

Josh3D

Great composition and cool idea Tiho! I actually like the lighting, just think it needs to bake a little longer. great shot!

Tiho Ramovic

Thanks guys for the comments, really glad you liked it  :D
I will try to improve the image in the areas you all suggested in next day or two, and post it here.

@tsunami: thank you  ;) , idea actually came from those old automotive cutaway drawings from the time when all that was drawn
by hand. Transparency was made in Photoshop where I combined all the previously rendered images.

@Henrik: Thank you! I was little sloppy with the tyres, but I will correct that  ;)
As for the noise, I wanted a little bit of noise but not this much, I didnt had enough time to correct it right away. That also will be corrected

@Josh3d: Glad you like it  ;) . I will upload fixed image here in the next day or two, since now I have a little bit more time in my hands :D

CAClark

Wicked stuff, tyres aside I like much everything else, might be tempted to reduce the scale of the perforated texture on the seats.

Cheers!

Tiho Ramovic

Corrected all the details you guys suggested:

feher

That is wonderful. Great attension to detail !  Alot of hard work went into this.
I know I have done many images of this nature.
Thanks for sharing !!!!!
Tim

Tiho Ramovic

Thank you Tim!
Always wanted to do something like this, but never had enough time until now ;)

KeyShot

Looks fantastic. The only little thing is the plate in the back that was noisy before. It looks a little smooth now. Perhaps add a bumpmap to give it a little detail. The tires look great now.

-- Henrik

Tiho Ramovic

Thank you Henrik for the input, I will fix that as soon as possible

Tiho Ramovic

Here is the new image with fixed gas tank...
I will add one more image in about 3-4 hrs  ;)

Speedster

Now the exhaust pipe looks a bit odd in the area of the front tire and wheel?  This is a stunning render concept, well done! 
Bill G