Keyshot engine "photo" [mirror post from Grabcad]

Started by tris.d, July 08, 2012, 06:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tris.d

"This is not a rendering. Its a closeup shot of Wiktor's engine I took in my kitchen this morning. Just like my dad's shot 40 years ago." -a3.trion

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What I tried to achieve is realism in the details "shot" using just Keyshot.

Model prep:
-I chose a model that is detailed enough to render in closeup, where parts are separate solids and without surface errors. Wiktor's engine is a very good fit.
-To prep for rendering, I rounded off edges of the model (some as small as 0.1mm R) since a perfect sharp edge doesn't exist in casted, machined (at least for this engine) and injection moulded parts in the real world. Besides, I love how these edges catch the light.

Material & Textures:
-Care was given to assign materials with the actual production process in mind. Within a part I assigned the casted texture to their respective surfaces and the brushed texture in places where they are machine finished as such.
-All applied materials values were tweaked to fit.
-No values that doesn't exist in the real world were set like roughness of 0, color saturation level of 256, pure black or white colors, etc.

Environment:
I didn't use a studio lighting environment. For this shot I used an interior environment for the natural and complex lighting effect our eyes are used to.

Camera:
I applied a subtle DOF. To give this take an amateurish shot effect.

Post rendering effect:
Seeing this retro shot, your mind perceives this as a real 40 year old photo instead of a rendering [cross fingers].

Josh3D

Very cool A3! Thanks for describing your process as well!

Cheers,

Josh

Dylan

That's totally convincing, with an amazing level of detail.