Can KeyShot make animations like this?

Started by Chris B, October 26, 2015, 12:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris B

Hi All,

People in our company would like us to create animations similar to these.
We're already looking into KeyShot (haven't used it yet)
Wondering if it would be capable of these types of animations, or would we need to use something more like Maya or Blender.
Or any other program?

Any recommendations, for animation noob, would be appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj9LdlvbLi4

TpwUK

With the current version 5 you can do all of that animation apart from the opening of the cardboard box. With v6 (still in beta phase) there is support for alembic cache and python scripting so deformations can be handled via that route.

Martin

Robb63

I'm not seeing anything about unfolding the box that couldn't be done by rotating the flaps along the hinge lines, am I missing something? Seems like all of the other animations could be done in KS 5 too

TpwUK

Quote from: Robb63 on October 26, 2015, 01:23:38 PM
I'm not seeing anything about unfolding the box that couldn't be done by rotating the flaps along the hinge lines, am I missing something? Seems like all of the other animations could be done in KS 5 too

With good positioning and lighting you could possibly get away with rotating the flaps but i think it would still be noticeable. Cardboard flap creases tend to be pressed so you get an indent on one side and a bulge on the other, that's easy enough to model, but the nature of that shape would be difficult to rotate without seeing it either travel through the box on one side and to lift on the other.  So, even though it's not impossible to do without deformations of the underlying mesh it would certainly be many times more difficult.

Martin

Chris B

Thanks TpwUK and Robb63

Good to know KS5 can at least do the mechanical part of the animation.  The box creases we can live without, to keep things simple.

Here is another example, a bit more complex.
Would this again be done in KeyShot, or some other program?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPD8CW2PS-Y

TpwUK

All doable in KS5 using view sets and a 3rd party video editing app. Possibly even easier in KS6 :)

Martin

Chris B

Great!  Thanks Martin

Any recommendations for video editing apps?
???

TpwUK

Quote from: Chris B on October 28, 2015, 12:29:27 PM
Great!  Thanks Martin

Any recommendations for video editing apps?
???
Which OS are you using ?

Martin

Chris B

QuoteWhich OS are you using ?

Windows 7 pro

TpwUK

Quote from: Chris B on October 29, 2015, 05:52:23 PM
QuoteWhich OS are you using ?

Windows 7 pro

Then you have lots to choose from. Adobe Premiere or After Effects if you already subscribe to Adobe then you can add one or both on. If you're tight with your expenses like me then you can google for alternatives ... I used to use http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html not as many fades and effects but perfectly adequate :)

Martin

PhilippeV8

Those Alembic files do sound interesting !

Any hints on affordable softwares with which we can create those ?
I currently use Autodesk Inventor and SketchUp for creating 3D parts, so a software which can import these file types would be handy indeed.
I'm quite sure 3Dmax can do this, but Max is quite the expensive type, no ?

TpwUK

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on October 30, 2015, 03:28:12 AM
Those Alembic files do sound interesting !

Any hints on affordable softwares with which we can create those ?
I currently use Autodesk Inventor and SketchUp for creating 3D parts, so a software which can import these file types would be handy indeed.
I'm quite sure 3Dmax can do this, but Max is quite the expensive type, no ?

Alembic cache seems to have been adopted by many of the 'big boyz' of the 3D animation suites so it's pretty much you pay your money you make your choice seems to apply. The only cheap package to offer Alembic export that i am aware of is Daz Studio but I have no idea what its animation abilities are. So, your choices are pretty much restricted to Max, Maya, Houdini, Modo, C4D and LightWave. You can find out more from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alembic_(Computer_Graphics) but as can be seen, it seems to be the normal 'professional' classed 3D modelling and animation studio type of apps that have adopted it. Surprising considering it's open source, so it might be worth looking into open source modelling and animation tools such as Blender. I would be very surprised if there was no plugin or extension for Blender.

Martin

J4y

TpwUK