rotating part not on x y or z axis

Started by gcrawley, July 12, 2012, 05:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAVator

Same issue here... any solution on this yet or does anyone know if KS6 will fix this?

I have a driveshaft I am trying to rotate and the ends go all wonky because it is picking the center point of the object and then rotating around a primary coordinate axis (x,y,z), in this case the X axis, instead of the object's center axis. In this case there's about a 10 degree drop from the tranny to the power divider, but when picking the rotation, it finds the center point and aligns that in the X axis. However, the ends of the shaft are up or down from this axis a certain distance, so when they rotate, it's a larger circle of rotation than at the center point. 

Would be nice if instead of picking the center point and using a fixed axis, that it would find the center axis of an object or let you pick a surface and align to that, or pick or set a different axis, etc.

TpwUK

Yes this is fixed in version 6 - In version 6 you can set the pivot point on the object itself or use another part such as a hinge pin for example :)

Martin

sag

Quote from: TpwUK on July 10, 2015, 07:34:51 AM
Yes this is fixed in version 6 - In version 6 you can set the pivot point on the object itself or use another part such as a hinge pin for example :)

Martin

you can change pivot points in version 5 but Axis orientation seem to be set to Global even if you set it to Original local, will there be a fix for this or do we have to wait for a new version.
Just to add, I'm using Keyshot 5 which comes with Solid Edge ST8, when importing assemblies all the parts have the same axis coordinates which is the same as the global axis coordinates.