New Apple MacBook Pro

Started by Xidor, June 11, 2012, 12:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xidor

Not sure I should be posting this here.

I was just watching the WWDC keynote speech and new hardware announcements from Apple. I desperately need a new computer. My Macs are old and dual core.

So it was disappointing that there was no new Mac Pro announcements, but the new MacBook Pro was interesting. The Retina display has such high resolution, I couldn't help but wonder how great a keyshot render will look as it is rezzing up on there.

So I am wondering if the Keyshot team will be taking advantage of the new Apple hardware? I'll be getting a new MacBook Pro as soon as I can.

If new Mac Pros come out, inwas hoping for more cores to rush my renders out faster! But this new MacBook Pro could be okay.

But as I mentioned, the Retina display will be the interesting thing to see.

guest84672

I would think that it is just a matter of resolution so KeyShot should not have any issues running on a MacBook Pro. And the performance is just great.

Xidor

Thanks Thomas. Makes sense.

You mean the new MacBook Pro will have great performance? It should with an i7 chip!

guest84672

I have a MB Pro with an i7 Sandy Bridge chip with 2.3 Ghz clock speed. Not sure what Turboboost means, but at 3.7 Ghz that thing could be more than 50% faster than mine.

Xidor

Sounds good Thomas!

I am torn with looking at a Mac Pro with either a 6 or 12 core for the processing speed. But Apple isn't updating them, so I'm leaning towards this new MacBook Pro.

Robb63

I read the Mac Pro was getting a CPU upgrade, they just didn't announce it yesterday. You can find the new specs at Gizmodo

Xidor

Robb, yes Apple quietly bumped up the speed of the Pros. But no updates to video cards and no USB3 and no Thunderbolt makes it less attractive. I am leaning to wait till next year when the latest rumor has it that Apple will update the Pro. So I'm leaning towards the new MacBook Pro. :)

quigley

Nelson the problem with running any app like Keyshot on a laptop is that they get very hot! We have a 27" iMac running i5 quad core chips and when that runs Modo or Keyshot you literally cannot touch the top of the display. I tend to run all these CPU intensive apps only on a "proper" workstation these days. In my case that's an i7 running at 4.5GHz. It flies, stays quiet and runs great. If I were in the market for a new Mac Pro I'd probably wait or maybe get a cheaper PC with overclocked i7 and use that as a render station (you don't need fancy graphics cards for Keyshot).

Xidor

Hey Kevin!

Good to hear from you, it's been a while. I didn't get a alert email that someone replied. So pardon the tardy reply.

Yes, my 2009 MacBook Pro gets hot and I use an external fan for those extreme times of rendering. I'm probably going to wait for the next iteration of Mac Pro. But I will likely get a new Retina MacBook Pro simply because I need a mobile solution for my current work needs as I find I work at client locations often. It will do great for SolidWorks and the Adobe products too.