Post work question after the Engine Render contest

Started by Xidor, July 21, 2012, 04:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xidor

Guys,

In the aftermath of the Engine Rendering Contest, there has been a call to consider the next contest to be done without post work and all using the same model.

It made me want to ask what is the post work you guys are doing? Back in the days when this software had the name "Hyper" in front of it, there were some great tutorials that went over post processes. One included doing the clown renderings to make selecting parts or areas on the rendering easier to select in Photoshop. That I've done. Then renderings where done that looked good for the chrome parts on a car, and another render that made the paint look good and so on with other parts. They are then selected and manipulated in Photoshop in layers to build up the image.

In my work, I do product renders. Rarely do I ever do post work. And then when I do, it's for allowances to change logos and or product names in Photoshop rather then doing another render with new graphics. If I had a 12 core, maybe that wouldn't be a problem to do new renders for each new logo or name change. but often, it's faster and easier to just do it in Photoshop from one render.

I have found that if I spend a little more time setting up the lighting and reflections I want and it loks good for the whole object, I can do the render once. Any post work is to remove something or to add a graphic or to add a glow around an LED.

And this is work for industrial design programs. We are not trying to create an image to wow or set a mood. We are simply creating an image of the design for presentation that's picture perfect. Clean and simple.

In my engine render for the contest, I only used Photoshop to remove one unsightly reflection and crop. So my engine render was clean and simple. No dirt or oil stains. :)

There was some very nice work done on those engine renders that were submitted to the contest. I'd be curious to understand the post work they used. Or was it as I described above? The dirty engine submission was a really nice piece of work. I'm really curious how that was done, I think it was mainly the texture mapping that got those nice dirty used metal finishes. It would be good to see a break down of that and post work done.

So if anyone would be willing to share, I'm really interested to know your post process and any insights for the texture mapping. Perhaps Keyshot could do a series of tutorials? That would be very helpful. It would be fun to get finger prints on an object and dirt and discoloration on the chrome from heat.

Thanks!

CAClark

my post processing is pretty simple and straight forward grading done in Photoshop, and I did a mini tutorial for it on my blog: http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/1010

Cheers!

Ed

Thanks for sharing those tips Craig.  I agree, the secret is in keeping the changes subtle.  If it looks like post, it's likely bad post.

Ed