Not all components in an assembly showing up in Keyshot

Started by kjoiner, August 23, 2012, 05:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjoiner

Hello,

I recently opened a Solid Edge assembly in Keyshot and noticed not all of the parts are showing up.  I checked the tree in Keyshot and the items just aren't there.  I also opened up the file a couple of times with the same results.  The items in Solid Edge are nothing out of the ordinary.  Any ideas?

I'm running Solid Edge ST4 and Keyshot 3 64 bit.

Thanks,

Kyle

Robb63

I can't help with why, but this happens to me every so often with Rhino 5 files. They are exactly the same as any other file I've imported (as far as I know) but a bunch of parts will be missing.
I usually save them out of Rhino 5 as a Rhino 4 model with a different file name (in my feeble brain that makes a difference, since ti does with decals) and it usually does the trick.

Can you save as an older Solid Edge version to see if that helps?

jeffw

I use SolidEdge and have noticed this too. What I have noticed is that it relates to the assembly structure in SE. First be aware that alternative assemblies will never come import, period. This makes sense as they are linked to many parts which you do not want to import and there is no way Keyshot could know which ones to import and which ones to not. The second thing I have found is the parts that sometimes do not import are buried within a sub assembly. For me it is usually just one part. The work around that I use is to use the transfer tool in SE and transfer that part to the top level assembly. Then the whole assembly seems to import fine. This of course changes the assembly structure of your SE model so you may want to transfer it back later but at least you can get it into KS.

Jeff

Speedster

Ditto in SolidWorks, but not often.  It's in the tree, but not the model.  But what's really odd is that if I import the same model (usually because of a configuration change) it shows up in the tree, but does not import into the .bip.  This is regardless of settings like retain materials, add-to-scene, etc., or method of import.  It will outline in orange as usual, but it's just not there.  ???
Bill G

kjoiner

It sounds like there is a problem with the import translator.  Since yesterday I have created some more parts and subassemblies to add to my main model and the results are hit and miss.  For this assembly, I have a couple of family of parts members which are linked to a master file, but they show up fine.  Everything should be pretty straighforward.  My subassemblies only go down one level.  Some show up and some don't.

Kyle

guest84672

If you can share an example then we can take a look. Otherwise it is hard to tell what is going on.

kjoiner

I wish I could for this project.  Currently this is a concept design that is confidential so I can't post anything.  If I can replicate it in some other way, I'll post results.

I was successful in importing a parasolid file.  All the parts/subassemblies came in so I've been working from that.

I did try the other trick mentioned where the Solid Edge assembly model is dragged in from Windows Explorer onto the Keyshot screen, but the same parts failed to show.

Kyle