KeyShot v2.0 Skinable!

Started by JTrusty, June 10, 2010, 04:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTrusty

Ok, since I am stuck at the moment with a busted version of KeyShot 2.0 that can't import 3ds files, I figured I would try to be productive. While digging around I was pleasantly surprised to find \bin\keyshot2.style

I fire up EditPad to take a peek and what do I find? More or less straight up css. What this means is, that anyone proficient in css can reskin the KeyShot interface.

This makes me extremely happy. The dark interface in v2.0 just wasn't working for me. Here are my results after about an hour of getting acquainted with the selectors and restyling.

Click the image for a fullsize screenshot...

:)

Speedster

WOW!  I so totally agree with this skin!  I have not yet downloaded KS2, but I really hate Photoshop's dark grey, and other apps that use the "new-fangled" look.  I've been doing a lot of monitor shopping, and have discovered that a black or dark grey background skin can actually affect your eye's perception of color- very medical and scientific, but true.  I really like what you did!  Besides, I'm 63 and I have "floaters", which make it difficult to discern against dark greys.  A word to you "youngsters" out there- give your eyes a break often, or you will pay the price!

By the way, I'm also now using a $1400 EIZO GW223w high-rez and color perfect monitor, so that's not the problem.  With this new monitor I have no eye fatigue after a long day- I can't say enough about EIZO.  Actually, I will, as a separate thread.

It would be GREAT if the KS team could offer us a simple toggle skin swap!  I would not know what a css is if it bit me, which I'm sure it would...

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com  (New website!)

JTrusty

QuoteI would not know what a css is if it bit me

Bill,

No sweat brother and I totally agree with you. CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets and is used heavily to style web pages ( fonts, borders, backgrounds, colors etc... ). Once you get around to downloading v2.0 let me know and I can send you my keyshot2.style file. Just put it in your bin directory and you'll be good to go.

kenc

Jason,

This is off topic, but where is the model from in your screenshot? I've seen it used as a reference model for comparing material / bump maps in other rendering packages...

Thanks,
Ken

JTrusty

QuoteI've seen it used as a reference model for comparing material / bump maps in other rendering packages...

Negative. This is a fresh new model I created specifically for KeyShooters.  ;)

I will be packaging it up in the near future and offering it as a downloadable resource for everyone. That way we can create a material sharing resource with consistent preview images. Just have a few more things to finish first.

Check this thread for more intel...

Richman

I have to agree these new skins are nice.  Can we share K@ skins along with material sharing when that comes online?     The K2 black interfaces doesn't feel very Apple mac-ish and bit pixellated.

KeyShot

Jason, that skin looks great!  If you can send it to support@luxion.com then we will look into making it an option in KeyShot 2 :)

-- Henrik

rkulshrestha

Someone removed the attachment!

Shivani

rkulshrestha

Oops it took a while to load. This looks so 'Windows'

Shivani

guest84672

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I agree with you, but to each their own ;-)

Speedster

Quotewe will look into making it an option in KeyShot 2

Maybe three simple options, like your existing black, a medium grey and this great beige.  As you know, providing even the simplest user options can prove to be a great marketing tool.  Actually, this thread is very informative, as every car salesman knows they've "made the sale" when the buyers start discussing which color they want!

Bill G

JTrusty

QuoteJason, that skin looks great!

Thanks!

QuoteIf you can send it to support@luxion.com then we will look into making it an option in KeyShot 2

You have mail.  :)

QuoteThis looks so 'Windows'

Of course it does. I work on a windows box.  ;)

Ed

I also find the default color scheme is harsh on the eyes.  The CSS solution is great as long as it does not get overwritten during updates.  I'd love to get a sample file.

I find that I really like the gray scheme below taken from Paint Shop Pro - dark, but not so dark that you have issues with extreme contrast.

Ed

JTrusty

QuoteThe CSS solution is great as long as it does not get overwritten during updates.

If Henrik ends up working in true skin support, I am sure they wouldn't get overwritten. At present, however, you would need to save the file in a separate location to be able to overwrite the default .style sheet after each upgrade.

QuoteI'd love to get a sample file.

Feel free to have a go with mine. I have attached it to this post. Just be sure to backup your current keyshot2.style file before dropping this one in your bin directory.

ukindler

KeyShot seems to be developed with the cross platform library Qt. So if somene needs a good reference how to style the KeyShot application then I would suggest the Qt stylesheet reference:

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/stylesheet.html