KeyShotVR - How to Embed Output nto a .pdf?

Started by br3ttman, September 24, 2012, 12:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

br3ttman

Last week we got a trial copy of KeyShotVR -->  Fast, easy, powerful, we love it!  Hope to purchase a license soon!

In the meantime, however, we'd really like the ability to embed the output into our .pdf deliverables in a way that doesn't require a weblink to the html5 file.  Optimally, our client would be able to interact with the VR file right within the .pdf document.  Anybody in the KeyShot community embedding VR Object Movies into .pdf's that would be willing to share some tips?

Thanks!

Simon N

This is something I would also like to find out more about. Embedding into a PDF document would be the ideal!

Josh3D

We're looking into different methods of distributing the VR's. PDF embedding is being tested. Currently, we've found sharing the link to your VR to be the quickest, most accessible and most efficient means of sharing. More features coming to VR in KS4.

Devils_i

I would like to follow up on in this forum if Keyshot 5 has evolved and is able to embed itself to a 3D interactive PDF already?

Subrosa

Artur

Any news on this topic?

It would be a great way to share visualisations with clients.

guest84672

You can embed KeyShotVRs in iBooks, host them online, or send the whole package to clients for review.

3DPDF support is highly unlikely since it is owned by TechSoft 3D.

Artur

Thanks for the answer.

Seems I will nots share the VR's with clients without I Books.
It's a loss of market quota but nothing like patents to hold the ground in this sort of business.

guest84672

You don't need iBooks. You can just send the entire folder to the client. All they need to do is unpack it and click on the html page. It will open in the default browser.

NormanHadley

For me, what would really make VR fly would be the ability to embed in a PowerPoint slide. At present, this is limited by Microsoft's rather odd security priorities - treating local HTML as inherently unsafe.

If Luxion could figure out a way round this - perhaps by exporting the HTML as an object pre-packaged in a .pptx file, that'd be fantastic.

Josh3D

Here are instructions for embedding a KeyShotVR in Microsoft PowerPoint.

Embed a KeyShotVR in PowerPoint

• For PowerPoint 2007 and up download LiveWeb (lwsetup40.zip)
  • Extract the .zip folder contents
  • Run lwsetup.exe
  • Launch PowerPoint
  • Go to the Insert tab
  • Select Web Page from the LiveWeb section (LiveWeb dialogue appears)
  • Add the KeyShotVR url (ex. https://www.keyshot.com/vr/keyshot6/motox/motox.html)
  • Select Add and hit Next >
  • Adjust the settings as needed and select Finish
  • Start the PowerPoint and click on the slide with the VR to load the VR

Position a KeyShotVR in PowerPoint
You may not see the KeyShotVR in the slide while in edit mode. Don't worry, it's still there. Click on the slide in edit mode and a bounding box will appear. This will be the KeyShotVR. By default, KeyShotVRs will appear in the upper left corner. You can position the KeyShotVR in the PowerPoint by adjusting the bounding box, modifying the style of the KeyShotVR html itself, or both.

"Unable to locate Web Browser ActiveX Control"
If this error is received when attempting to embed a KeyShotVR, follow these instructions to allow the KeyShotVR to be embedded.

In the Windows Registry (Start (or right-click start menu), select Run, type regedit. Go to the following key (or search for COM Compatibility using Ctrl-F):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\COM Compatibility\{8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2}

Double-click 'Compatibility Flags' entry and change the value to 0.

NormanHadley

Hi Josh

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've been round the loop with LiveWeb a few times and never got it to fly. I can embed an external webpage like google.co.uk or  keyshot.com just fine but it won't do anything with local HTML. All I get is white space - not even an error message.

For me, this is the clincher because a) you never want to be reliant on WIFi for an important presentation and b)you might not want to upload commercially sensitive images to the web.