blur effect on selected materials

Started by fario, September 26, 2012, 06:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fario

hello,

I would like a blur effect on selected materials and not on the whole scene  ;)

Thanks

Antoine

cadjockey

+1
I quite like the effect adding 'bloom' gives to leds etc, but I don't like turning it on because it ruins all of the other materials

Rich

fario

Vlad

Hi Antoine,
You can still get that result by separating the rendering in layers and applying the amount of blur in PS on each individual component/material. This way you have more control on the final output and also the rendering time is an idea quicker :)

Cheers,
Vlad

fario

hello,

yes it's true.

But if your LED is behind glass?

Vlad

Hi Antoine,

It doesn't really matter if the LED is behind a glass or not. The workflow is still the same.

First render a beauty pass. Then you have 2 options:

Option 1 (quicker to render, more PS work)
Render a crisp caustics pass which you will blur in Photoshop after. For this pass set the HDRI brightness to 20% or less. Enable Caustics in the Settings tab and when rendering set them to a higher value (you can override the default maximum of 10 to up to 100). When you finish stack the beauty pass and the caustics pass in Photoshop and set the caustics one to linear dodge. The only thing left is to add the amount and type of blur you want.

Option 2 (slower to render, almost zero PS work)
Render a blurred pass straight in KS - same settings as in option 1, but with enabled bloom. Stack beauty and caustics pass in PS. Set caustics pass to linear dodge. Adjust layer opacity... Done!

I hope that's clear enough  :) Also check the attached TIF with all the layers. The scene is pretty basic and the 'LED' is just an area light sphere.

Cheers,
Vlad

fario

ok thank you very much!

i test.

Antoine