The KeyShot Fur And Wig Shop...

Started by Despot, October 22, 2012, 05:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

Testing out hair exported from Cinema 4D as geometry - its the first time iv'e done it, in the past iv'e always rendered C4D hair with the native renderer

There are pro's and con's of exporting hair as geometry, the pro's being the hair is taken into account by Global Illumination and AO in KeyShot (in C4D Hair is not affected by either of these...)

The con's being the time it takes to convert to geometry and the resulting filesize of the OBJ's - for instance the Wig/Furballs are 800 MB and the Rocking Sheep is 1.7 GB

The Wig/Furball has 80,000 individual hairs, the Rocking Sheep has over 200,000...

I think KeyShot does a fantastic job at rendering it realistically...

Tell me what you think

Cheers

J

PhilippeV8

Ruckus

I love the rocking sheep.  He sort of looks like stoner-me from 30 years ago.  ::)

PhilippeV8

I think the rocking sheep looks like from a world where horses and elephants got extinct and not mammoths  ;D

Ed

Cousin Itt!

Seriously, those are very realistic.

Ed

imshinji

i like 2nd shot.

how long it takes to render?

guest84672

Love it! What material did you use? Translucent?

Despot

Thanks for the comments chaps, it's much appreciated...

Ed : thanks, yeah actually they look much more realistic than the C4D rendered equivalent which look quite 'cartoonish'

Imshinji : the same as any other render really, the floating wig one rendered in about 5 mins, real time render...

Thomas : No, not translucent, 'metal' would you believe... with a higher than usual IOR

PhillipeV8 : LOL, thanks

Got a few more images to post then i'll move on to something else...

Cheers

J

tsunami

Wow..real nice..i love it, !!! could you explain how u made hair materials?
Thx

Despot

Another hair/furball

I just want to say to the powers that be, thanks for the Facebook blog feature - it's really appreciated and I feel honoured - it was pointed out to me by a colleague...

I also had no idea that some of my other work had been shown - amazing !! thanks

Cheers

J

CAClark

Despot

Yet another couple...

Really ramped the lighting up on the second one to get a bit of backlighting going on... also this is made up
of 320,000 hairs as it has a secondary layer of 'Fill Hairs' active...

Oh and as you can see in both of them, the fur colour is driven by a texture

Thanks for looking

J

guest84672

Awesome - love every single one of these images.

PhilippeV8

That last one is crazy ... you're getting close to a tennis-ball  ;)

raygunstudio

Really nice renderings! It looks very realistic. I use Cinema 4D as well as a front end to KeyShot and I am always amazed how stable KeyShot is when it comes to extremely large datasets. I've played with different types of exports, OBJ is kind of my default, by FBX is starting to be really good when I want more access to parts without having to flatten them first. Also 3DS has been giving me better results than OBJ on occasion. What's been your experience with this?