Mac Pro Dual 3ghz Quad-Core, 32 gigs of Ram, 5770, SSD, 44fps. Dissappointed.

Started by cash68, October 23, 2012, 07:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cash68

Pretty disappointed.  Just setup my new machine, and it only registered about 44 fps.   Why?  Other mac pros here have a lower clock speed, less ram, and they're getting 60-70fps with Keyshot 2.  Is Keyshot 3 that much slower?   :-[

guest84672

Assuming you are using the camera bip file. I find this hard to believe since I am getting 39fps on an i7 quad-core with hyperthreading, running at 2.3Ghz.

Is KeyShot pegging all 16 threads?

br3ttman

Hey cash68

When I/we upgraded from KeyShot 2 to KeyShot 3 on my home machine and on four of our office machines, we consistently saw a 25% reduction in FPS.  However, I don't know how well the FPS between KeyShot 2 and KeyShot 3 correlate because my KeyShot 3 workflow felt lighter/quicker than KeyShot 2.

jiyang1018

Quote from: cash68 on October 23, 2012, 07:43:51 AM
Pretty disappointed.  Just setup my new machine, and it only registered about 44 fps.   Why?  Other mac pros here have a lower clock speed, less ram, and they're getting 60-70fps with Keyshot 2.  Is Keyshot 3 that much slower?   :-[
how many cores/threads does your mac pro have?

cash68

It's a dual quad-core machine.  Keyshot is pegging all eight CPU's.   I installed Keyshot 2, and instead it got about 59FPS, so I guess that's more appropriate.   Didn't realize Keyshot3 was so much slower.

guest84672

It all depends on the scene. Try other scenes and you will see that KeyShot will perform that much faster.

Also, no hyperthreading?

cash68

What do you mean?   How do you know if you have hyperthreading enabled or available?   

guest84672

It is a new machine, right? The new quad-core processors all support hyperthreading, so you should have 16 threads available.

jiyang1018

cash68

Thomas, no, it is not new.  It is a heavily upgraded Mac Pro 1,1.   Its processor is an Intel Xeon X5365, 2 of them.   So dual-quad cores.  I see 8 CPUs getting maxed out when running keyshot.  Are you saying I should see 16?

DriesV

I think your score of 44fps in KS3 is very much in line with what can be expected from a dual Xeon X5365 (@ base clock 3.0GHz).
Remember, you're talking about a CPU that was released in 2007.
A brand new dual Xeon E5-2660 (@ 2.2GHz,albeit with 8 cores per CPU) workstation will blow your system out of the water and be about 3 (!) times faster than your rig in KeyShot.

Please have a look in this list:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
This ranking of CPUs gives a pretty accurate indication of KeyShot performance.

To prove my point:
My Intel 3930K gets a score of 11987 in that list. I get around 70fps in KS3 (@ base clock 3.2GHz).
Your dual Xeon X5365 gets a score of 7640. That's 64% of a 3930K.
64% of 70fps is...45fps.  8)

I, personally, will ALWAYS consult that list when in the process of choosing/buying a new workstation.
Just my 2 cents of advice...

I think there's nothing wrong with your hardware or system configuration.

Dries

cash68

Ah.  Gotcha.    I was expecting more like 70+ fps... but I'm still happy.  It cranks compared to my old system, which struggled to get over 30.