Loading Library locks up KeySot

Started by DriesV, October 29, 2012, 06:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Hi,

Our 3 KeyShot users access shared KeyShot resource folders on a network drive. All users have a 100mb wired connection to the network.

2 of 3 users are reporting lock-ups (KeyShot not responding) when loading the Library. The environment folder contains about 2GB of HDRI images.
Those 2 users are running Windows 7 32 bit. One has 2GB RAM, the other 3.5GB of usable RAM.

The 3rd user (me) can load the Library just fine.
I am running Windows 7 64 bit with 7GB RAM.

Is lack of RAM -for the users running W7 32 bit- the culprit here?
If so, what is considered to be a comfortable amount for smooth Library operation?

greetings,
Dries

guest84672

DriesV - are you sharing all the resources including the cache files?
The best thing is to do a local install and then change folders for the things you want to share. Then your cache files, settings etc. will remain local

DriesV

Thomas,

Cache files, license file and config XML file are contained in the local User Documents for each KeyShot user.
I have installed KeyShot exactly like you mention. There are no cache files, license files and XML files in the shared directory.

Dries

PhilippeV8

I have something similar going on, but only with the environements tab.  If I want to access it, I have to close KS, re-open KS, open the materials panel, go to the environements tab and only there after open my current working file again.

DriesV

Are you running a 32 bit OS too?
If so: have you already tried switching to 64 bit?

I have a hunch that this problem is RAM related, since -apart from OS and RAM- the three systems are fairly similar hardware-wise (all 2-core Intel CPUs with around 12 fps camera bench scores) and configuration-wise (all on the same network hub).

Dries

PhilippeV8

Dries, remember, I'm still in the middle-ages here with my 64 bit capable machine, running Windows XP 32 bit .............

*grbls@IT*

guest84672

Is this happening every time? I would think if so it should only happen once at the very beginning, and then only when new images are added.

PhilippeV8

Every single time here ... tho it might depend on which (read how heavy a) scene I have open.

DriesV

Yes, it happens every time here as well on the 32 bit machines.
But, it might have something to do with the fact that KeyShot locks up every time.

For now I have resorted to copying a smaller set of EV's to a separate network folder and directed KeyShot on the 32 bit machines to use that folder.
Now KeyShot loads the library just fine (but with a limited number of EVs).

Dries