shaders questions

Started by evilmaul, October 29, 2012, 08:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilmaul

hi there,

I've played with keyshot for sometime and I have to say I really like its simplicity and straightforward way to render out your ideas.
First of all I have to say that most of the stuff I render are organic surfaces and shader wise what I would be using the most is the translucent type, regarding which the first question would be about
a quite obivious miscoloration (as in the attached image) with green tones mixed in the diffuse as the light travels inside the object. (this is a huge road block to render realistic skin).
I have to say that I've seen this happening with other sss shaders/renderers but I've also seen workarounds....is there any for Keyshot?
Another thing that I consider very limiting is the amount of channels per shaders that can be controlled by textures. Again the translucent shader doesnt have an input for a spec texture? 0_o
actually I've noticed that only the advanced has that option?!
Is there any plan to customize (or actually build) a shader network?
again about the subsurface scattering is there a plan to add more control over it..again by using textures? and adding different layers? like epidermal, subdermal etc?
Ok enough for now :)

thanks
Marco

guest84672

KeyShot is absolutely capable of rendering accurate skin. What are the settings you are using for skin?

I will find out why there is no specular map for the translucent material. Other materials do have it, not just the advanced material.

Our goal with KeyShot is to keep it simple. This being said we are constantly looking on how to improve and expand our materials while keeping it as simple as possible.

evilmaul

hi Thomas and thanks for your reply.
This is one of the skin presets with no change from from. I am guessing that the green miscoloration happens when the the sss is too high for the scale of the object? maybe under different lighting envs is more visible than other?
Dont get me wrong I love the fact than everything is kept as easy for the sake of being user friendly and efficent, but I feel like , on the shaders side, I am missing quite a few slots (first of all displacement :( ) (Browsing through the forum I've seen other requests about having that implemented in)
Again my case could be a bit different than the majority here and therefore not everyone may need to plug extra maps in various channels.
Another question , which would be related to the possibility to use displacement maps, (I am currently rendering hi res model straight out of Mudbox...talking about 10M + polys, which KS still renders fine with longer renders but definitely not an efficent way to do it like that) is: if I have a polymesh that it's supposed to be rendered with displacement, can it be assigned an attribute in order to be rendered as subd surface? I see that KS renders meshes as they are .
thanks again, more questions as they arise :)
btw I do love KS
Marco

evilmaul

you can see the same thing in this other head (this has been edited in PS in terms of levels/noise)

evilmaul

any thoughts about the 'green' miscoloration of the translucent shader? and the possibility of mapping its specular component?
I am also noticing the 'green' color around areas where 2 different models are very close together (perhaps even crashing into each other).

thanks,
Marco

guest84672

You get the green coloration when you push the subsurface color close to the end of the color spectrum, in this case red. If you desaturate the color, then it will go away.

I will let Henrik - our chief scientist - explain in more detail ...

evilmaul

oh I see ..thanks for the answer...I thought of something like that but I dont have too much of tech knowledge... I just like to make pretty images :)
Anyway I dont recall having changed whats the preset for the SSS color ..what I so change sometimes is the diffuse and I wonder if that, according to what you said about the SSS color, can push more of green tones in the render.

cheers,
M