Main Menu

evilmaul key 'shots'

Started by evilmaul, October 29, 2012, 02:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilmaul

my own head WIP :)

guest84672

evilmaul

Thomas Its a little more than that :) it all started randomly as I wanted to try photo scanning technique.
So the main volume its derived from Photoscan, which result tho (but thats probably the way I shoot pics in combo with the lighting too) was a way too noisy. I am attaching a pic from of a wip in mudbox from beginning to end. The triangulated mesh has been manually cleaned up from the noise and all the facial features sculpted in by looking at the photoreferences. Then I projected the forms onto a clean (quads) mesh I made in maya. On that I then proceed to sculpt in all the hi freq displacement (skin details). I am planning  to do a realistic render but as for now Keyshot limitation of not having the possibility to map specular (thats a huge road block for realistic skin rendering..but in general rendering since the spec component its a fundamental one)

PS: sorry in this other render I am a lil too tanned :P

guest84672

Very nice. I bet our chief scientist will argue that you will need specular maps to do realistic skin renderings. What settings are you using?

evilmaul

seriously? well then me and everyone else working in the vfx industry should stop painting spec maps and quit the job then :)

KeyShot

Great work! Really like your first image! And yes, we will add specular maps to the translucent material. Only little detail to figure out is that there is only one component in the specular for that material.

-- Henrik

evilmaul

Hi Henrik,

thanks you very much for your comment :) its an honor!
Yes I was going to go there and ask about having more than just one spec component but you have anticipated me:) regardless, (I am happy just with one mappable one :) its a great news to hear that you will be adding this to the awesome translucent material. Do you think it would be added in the next 3.xx update and most likely in keyshot 4?

cheers,
Marco

guest84672

feher

WOW ! Really nice stuff !
They are all keepers
Tim

evilmaul

thanks Thomas, good to know. By any chance do you know if the translucent (or other materials as well) take in account spec occlusion? Sometime I have the impression that spec reflections in occluded areas are a little too strong.
thanks you Tim :)

here s something different.

guest84672

I'm not sure what you mean by "spec occlusion". But we will have some improvements coming for the material in KS 4.

guest84672

Just looked at the whole image. Very impressive.

evilmaul

I mean the spec reflection should show up less in occluded areas...say in the nostrils just to make an example but anyway I am looking forward to see v4 improvements :)

here the whole thing:) I may try some variation in material and lighting at some stage....its like a 15Million + sculpture so it takes a while to render :)

guest84672

evilmaul

thanks Thomas :)

here 's another quite complicated personal proj that I am still working on (who knows when I will get to finish it :)