Error when trying to import a Maya Binary (.mb) file

Started by wolfstar, October 16, 2012, 10:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfstar

Heya,

I'm trying to import a Maya Binary file (.mb) into Keyshot 3.3 and I get the following error (see attached screenshot for details):

"The Maya Installation for version 2011, 2012, or 2013 could not be located.  Please install/reinstall Maya."

Is it required that I actually have Maya installed before Keyshot can import Maya Binaries?    >_<

If not, how can I get this error to stop happening?

Thanks,
David

guest84672

wolfstar

Thanks for the quick reply, Thomas.

Ugh.  That kinda sucks, if I do say so myself. 

Do you think maybe it's a bit misleading to say that Keyshot has Maya import when really it's not native to Keyshot and requires a $3000+ purchase of Maya do accomplish this "feature" that Keyshot supposedly has? 

May I recommend you put some kind of disclaimer on your features list that says as much?   >_<

Thanks,
David

guest84672

It is native to KeyShot. It is not our choice that Maya needs to be installed and licensed. It is Autodesk's policy.

I updated the tech specs on our web page to make it more clear.

wolfstar

Thanks Thomas,

I understand the need for you to stay within the guidelines of the companies you work with, like Autodesk.

Still, I wish this functionality was more "built-in" to Keyshot --- although maybe your licensing fees for their (proprietary?) format would make Keyshot cost-prohibitive... so I understand but hey, I still wish it were otherwise.   :D

Thanks for updating the specs page so quickly -- I'm impressed!   

Cheers,
David