Rhino issue - inserted objects - lined files not importing correcting into keysh

Started by fletch1971, November 06, 2012, 03:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fletch1971

with some recent project we have been inserting objects as linked files to reduce the file size of the key model.
issue is that the inserted object, while are separated in the correct layers in Rhino get dumped into the default layer in keyshot.
is this a bug?

PhilippeV8

On your import screenshot I see "import as" block / group / ... if you change that, does it help ?

Robb63

I think it's because Rhino sees them as a blocked instance rather than individual pieces of data. It's the same reason you can't edit any of those linked parts in Rhino until you explode the instance. It's the trade off for having the file be small while you work in Rhino.

My workflow if I'm linking to a file in Rhino is to explode any instances when I'm finished working, and then "Export Selected" just the parts I want to appear in Keyshot. I usually call the file "Filename_RENDER.3dm" and save in a folder named "Render Data" so I keep my render files in order, and separate from the working Rhino files.

Hope that helps!