trying to export a camera out of 3dsmax into keyshot??

Started by mmmster3d, November 09, 2012, 04:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmmster3d

So I bring the fbx into KS and select the camera i made in 3dsmax- but its nowhere near the same!  in ks the model goes totally out of view.  anyone know what im missing?

guest84672

mmmster3d

Bummer.

So is there another way I can create a camera, and create a dae file to have the same camera in KS and livelight?  (or objs for that mattter)

or do you really just have to 'rough it' in free camera mode?

max0211

Hi,

Same thing here, tried various camera import from 3ds to Keyshot, mostly in FBX as it seems to be the most suited for animation export/import from 3ds.

Tried it in Keyshot 4, same thing happened :the camera gets imported "properly", however not even closely on the same spot as in max ( tried the " ajust camera to geometry " on and off, but still the
same.)

What is even more frustrating is that it seems that keyshot import the camera with correct animation included (couldn't exactly verify how well it import the animation due to the out of view location of the camera ).
Is there any way to make this work ?

I also tried exporting only the camera from max, but in this case keyshot won't import my file as it doesn't contain 3d data...

Because the thing is that I need to make a render with a skinned character.
As KS won't import mesh deformation animation, I would like to render the character separately, and render the rest of my scene in KS, enjoying it's amazing power, and then combine both together.

If camera import from 3ds is still to be fixed, is there any way to export my camera settings from keyshot so that I could do it the other way, reimporting the camera from KS in max?

Any way would be fing for me as long as I'm able to get the same point of view of both renders.

Thanks in advance for any help,

syrom

Hey guys. Reviving this old thread. How do you export the camera from 3ds? I click the camera and select [export] to .obj or .fbx and nothing gets imported. What am i doing wrong?

TpwUK

Quote from: syrom on February 10, 2016, 09:07:38 AM
Hey guys. Reviving this old thread. How do you export the camera from 3ds? I click the camera and select [export] to .obj or .fbx and nothing gets imported. What am i doing wrong?

FBX should have the option to include cameras on export. If that option is not set then the cameras will not be exported. As far as i know there are no camera settings in the OBJ format, OBJ provides geometry and textures plus UV mapping.

Martin

syrom

Quote from: TpwUK on February 10, 2016, 10:08:18 AM
Quote from: syrom on February 10, 2016, 09:07:38 AM

FBX should have the option to include cameras on export. If that option is not set then the cameras will not be exported. As far as i know there are no camera settings in the OBJ format, OBJ provides geometry and textures plus UV mapping.

Martin

Yup... noticed the camera option on fbx but nothing on ojb. I made sure it was checked on when i imported it as a fbx. But i get nothing. Kinda weird. Im using 3ds2016 and ks6

TpwUK

I don't have Max here so can't check it out, just out of curiosity though I remember the FBX_Camera used to show up in the scene tree, is it there under Cameras ?

Martin

syrom

Hmmm.... ill have to try it again and see if it shows up.

syrom

twinch

Hey everyone having problems bringing in cameras.  We just solved the issue here at our company and it's just a little silly.  It seems that to export FBX you need to have geometry to bring in the camera in Keyshot.

1. Create any 3d object into your 3D Studio scene. (I would recommend making it big and out of the way so it can be easily identified in Keyshot to be deleted there)
2. Select that one piece of geometry and select your camera and the target if you have one.
3. Export selected as .fbx and make sure you check the option to export the camera.
4. Import that fbx into your scene in Keyshot.
5. All you need to do is select the camera you imported and change the FOV to what it was in 3D Studio max.  This part is a bit silly that it does not translate over to Keyshot, but it is a very simple process if you keep in mind the camera's FOV in 3D Studio Max.
6. Remember to delete that piece of geometry you created.
7. That's it.  It works great for us now and it's very painless.

Hope this helps.
Travis