Gathering information before deploying network rendering

Started by DriesV, November 14, 2012, 01:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Hi,

My department is close to getting the network rendering add-on and an extra KeyShot Pro license.
But first I want to get my facts straight about network rendering.

• Do all slaves have to be on the same version in order for network rendering to work?
  • Is there an auto-update function (or auto notification like in KeyShot) to keep all slaves on the latest version?
  • (Let's project ourselves 6 months into the future...) Say we have 2 KeyShot licenses: 1 KeyShot 3 Pro & 1 KeyShot 4 Pro. Will both versions be able to submit render jobs to the same network rendering 'infrastructure'?

Dries

Claus Jensen

Hi Dries,

There are different levels for the network rendering version:
- We have just a build number increase when no changes to the protocol and rendering has been made. In this case, slaves with different version can communicate together.
- With protocol or render engine changes we increase the minor version number making the system incompatible with older slaves. The slave status will show when slave are out of date.
- And finally we have a major version for compatibility between KeyShot and the network rendering.

We are working on an auto update functionality for the next version.

You will be able to submit job from both KeyShot 3 and 4 when this is released. We will release a new version of network rendering together with KeyShot 4 and this will be backwards compatible with KeyShot 3.x.

You will also get the version that works with KeyShot 4 if you buy network rendering now,

I hope that answers your questions.

DriesV

Thank you!

That answer cleared up all my concerns.  ;)

Dries