Jagged shadows on the ground plane???

Started by Richman, June 18, 2010, 03:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richman

I'm getting jagged shadows on the ground plane at the max shadow quality setting.

KS2.0.38 mac version   I didn't seem to have this problem in 1.9

guest84672

could be related to a rotation of the model. Does it go away in the final rendering? Shadow Quality of 2 - 4 should be enough.

Richman

Yeah I tested rendering outputs and yes the black edges show up.   Even at max 10 shadow quality and max global illumination.   mmm?   should I try anything else?  What do you suggest?   All the other shadows that are cast are fine.  Just the shadows that are at edges that directly contact the ground plane. 

quigley

Lift the part off the ground plane a touch - this always works for me. Or try scaling the part up maybe 20x.

Richman

Scaling the model up, I think, fixes the issue.  Thanks!

But is the size and perspective now off??    I mean it looks good but is it no-longer accurate at 35mm lens, like a you would see the object with your own eyes in real life?   

I like my perspective relative the real specified size to be accurate.  Please anyone chime in if you know.

ben10

do you already have a ground plane model imported? flatten your hdri or add a ground plane object...check your hdri lighting and environment settings...in realtime render slowly tweak the settings one at a time to check if your got rid of your problem to know what you will need for final render. but adding a ground plane may resolve that

RichardB

focal lenght and perspective will be the same at any object size!
You have to change the distance of the camera, not the focal lenght. Then you get the same perspective even with a scaled object. means not "zoom" with the scrollwheel, instead make the Alt+rightmouse-draging.

Regards
Richard

Richman

Thanks Richard,   

I think you cured my OCD with good information..  I will pay attention to that!