Main Menu

TetraBot

Started by Despot, November 14, 2012, 08:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

I love using KeyShot to try and achieve realism in my materials, this time I was going for distressed and used coated plastics - 3 different bump maps were used to achieve the aged look...

I've got to say it's great not having to wait half an hour or more (like in other renderers) to see if things look ok

Thanks for looking...

original model by Stanislav Marchevsky...

Cheers

J

guest84672

Awesome - when you say 3 different bumpmaps, do you mean a different bump map for individual parts?

Seghier

NICE ; can you try to reduce the scale of bump  and use negatif height

DriesV

Absolutely great!
What software are you using to model these contraptions?

Dries

Despot

Thanks Thomas, each part uses a different bump map that was created by merging 2/3 separate textures...

Seghier : I'm assuming you mean 'bump height' when you mean 'scale'... it s extremely low as it is, 0.03 i think, it does look extremely scratched, but he's been around a bit ;-)

The bump maps used are using a heightfield where the scratches themselves are dark/grey to black, so I dont need to use a negative bump scale value - some of the scratches do look raised, but I think you'll find that that cannot be avoided, its an issue with the bump mapping paradigm itself and the way the scene lighting interacts with it... it's almost an optical illusion

Cheers

J

Despot

Just realised I was talking utter rubbish when I said the bump value used was 0.03... it was actually 0.12

So I could reduce it, but I've found that there is a threshold that once hit, any reduction in bump value has little or no difference visually...

Cheers

J

Seghier

yes bump map somtimes look bad ; i mean the scale of bump texture

Despot

Quote from: Seghier on November 14, 2012, 11:24:46 AM
yes bump map somtimes look bad ; i mean the scale of bump texture

Ah ok, Hmm, why would i want to change the scale when its not using the default value anyway and I'm happy with how it looks visually ?  ;)

tsunami

Great work as usual from u..i like it's awesome..seems really real..
Could u show us what bump image u used for?

br3ttman

Quote from: Thomas Teger on November 14, 2012, 08:44:12 AM
Awesome - when you say 3 different bumpmaps, do you mean a different bump map for individual parts?

Multiple bumpmaps per material (as well specular, opacity, and color) would be a nice feature, just like you have currently with labels.

Despot

Yeah, layered materials would be great - you never know it might be in V4

mmmster3d

that would be the bees knees if they did that for 4!

nice rendering :) keep it up

Despot

Quote from: tsunami on November 14, 2012, 12:48:17 PM
Could u show us what bump image u used for?

I'm not at work for another couple of weeks, thats where the scene file is...  I'll post it when im back

But to be honest, most of the bumps I use are done from scratch anyway...

I start with a photographic texture that contains dents and scratches and then use Photoshop to isolate them, then duplicate them and rotate and scale until I'm happy... then convert to Black and White.

Cheers

J