Honda Crossover

Started by jbeau, February 20, 2010, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbeau

Keylight+Hdri-locations= ;D

Regards,
Jbeau

jbeau

An issue which is often overlooked or avoided by individuals new to 3D is the necessity of fine-tuning projects in conjunction with a compositing package. Yet the level of interactive flexibility available within just about any 2D application can save precious time. While it is possible when working on full CG projects to render the final image directly from the 3D rendering engine, this methodology is rarely utilized in production environments. Furthermore, as broadcast and film pipelines converge, artist utilize 3D imagery as a subservient element to a live-action backplate, thus compositing is going to occur regardless. While many visual effects shots incorporate 3D, all visual effects shots are composited. What also must be mentioned is that there are many effects which not only benefit from, but require a compositing application's specialized features: Color correction, film grain, effects such as depth of field, fog, glows, motion blur, heat distortion, optical effects... The following is a series of layers created for compositing. This isn't all the passes, but just a few to show how I prepare for comp from Keyshot.
~jbeau

jbeau

Pedro_Julio

Wow.  Nice breakdown.  Extremely useful information.

futureproof

Hi

Thanks for showing the comp layers. I am assuming the photometric lights are not from Keyshot? Really useful to see how a shot is built up.

Regards

Jamie

jbeau

The photometric lights, Motionblur(tires/rims) and effects are generated from another renderer/comping application, but the meat and potatoes are keyshot. I need to add photometric lights to the wishlist...

Seggy

Hi Jeremy, how do you keep the camera position when working with other 3d apps and KeyShot?
You have a great work flow there :-)

jbeau

Hi Seggy,
Its a complicated process involving scripts that I wrote in Perl to parse and convert the bip coordinate system to something more manageable. Its not a 100% pixel for pixel solution, but I'm not doing complicated animations either. Sometimes, when this doesn't work I align content to a rendered backplate using the viewport background in my 3rd party application.

This also allows one to get a variety of other renderpasses, like motion vectors and DOF to name a couple, but mainly stuff the blurs...

This reminds me, I need to add camera tracking to the wishlist.

harshcg

Great showcase and render. I have a question which will help me a lot in my keyshot project.
How did you exported different passes from Keyshot??
I need to render diffuse/color pass, reflection pass and shadow pass saparately for my scene setup. can you please guide if this is easily possibly through keyshot?
Thanks  :)

jbeau

I have a script that I wrote in Perl that outputs the majority of my passes. Thats not for distribution at this time, but these settings can be setup by hand. I am working on a spin right now that has over 60 passes, crazy I know... but I can control every aspect included layered reflections for screen mixing softlight with hardlight reflections, like a traditional photoshoot. Ideally, Keyshot should save layered EXR's with passes built into them like Vray. I believe I wrote up a how-to "settings for passes" when KS was HS. I don't know if that got updated in this forum but there are unique settings for each pass output. I can't outline my exact workflow, but we are using a minimum of 8 key passes with a ton of alpha (material ID) and mask work before it even sees retouch. The great part is that many think the renders are done with Vray because we bake a ground shadow pass instead of using KS's. I would love to see a camera translation solution to match 3ds, maya, c4d, etc. All that being said, I think a meeting with Thomas in the near future to share what we are doing and how these things can be intergrated into future versions would be ideal.