png label has a white edge or stroke

Started by soheilom, December 12, 2012, 03:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soheilom

Hello
I am trying to map all the keys of a keyboard onto my model using lables. I am using transparent pngs (150dpi). And as you can see in the attached image the keys are rendering out with a WHITE edge or glow. Why is this? I opened the pngs in photoshop and they are all red and nice without this unwanted white edge. I have tried to look at the settings but i dont see anything that could be causing this unwanted effect.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?  :-\

DriesV

Do you mind sharing a few of your key label PNGs or KeyShot scene package so people can check out your files?

soheilom

Sure.
here are some of the pngs that I used. You can try adding it to any object.

Thanks

Robb63

It may be the texture/roughness on the material shader causing this. Try setting that to zero see if it goes away.

I had this happen a while back on a model with very thin lines on the decal. couldn't get it to show without edges on a plastic material with roughness. I don't have a cure for it though, perhaps Keyshot can chime in with a solution?

DriesV

With your labels I get the white edges too when I crank up the intensity of the label. I guess that you want to have a glow on your keys, right?
I don't get the white edges when I use a high resolution PNG.

My suggestion would be to try to increase the resolution of your key mapping considerably.

greetings,
Dries

soheilom

No, I dont have any glow on it and I dont want the white glow. I just want it to show red without any glow or white lines.

The resolution is set to 150dpi , I will try making it bigger, but that should be enough.

The material is a plastic with  "0" roughness, but still shows white edges  :-\

PhilippeV8

I 2 can only reproduce this with label intencity.

Please check if, on your "Label" tab panel, scroll to the bottom, in the section "Label properties", intencity is set to 1.

DriesV

Yes, it must be label intensity.
The reds from the labels in your rendering are out of whack. They're too bright, too unsaturated compared to your label PNGs.

Dries

soheilom

Yes my label intensity is set to 1 , but I still see the white edge, is there something I need to do in the render setings or in the material settings?

DriesV

Hard to troubleshoot.  ;D
Simplest thing would be for you to post a simplified KeyShot package with only a few keys and the 'problematic' label applied to them, so your design intel. isn't compromised.  ;)

It could be caused by a number of things that cannot be checked with just the labels at our disposal.

soheilom

OK. Problem solved!  ;D
what I did was:
1.increase the size of the pngs (x2)
2.Adjust gamma and brightness of the project.

Also very important for the intensity of the label to be "1".

Anyway I did not do a render but I see the labels are looking good on the screen now.

Thank you for your help!  ;)

PhilippeV8

Project gamma and brightness was going to be my next guess  ;D  ;)

Glad you solved it.

DriesV

Always nice to see such a bogging issue being resolved in a few hours' time.  ;D
Welcome to the KS club btw!

Dries

soheilom

Hello
Still more problems with these labels  :( but now with the animation.
When I render a single frame it all looks good but when I render out a .png file sequence with alpha channel I get some glitches on the lables, as if on some frames some pixels from the labels disapear and then come back, Its strange because some labels look good and others have this strange thing where some pixels are black or missing during some frames.
Does anyone know why this is happening? its frustrating because everything else looks good. :(

DriesV

I would suggest sending your KeyShot files (as a package) to Luxion support.
This problem, for us forum dwellers, is hard to troubleshoot without the necessary files.

Dries