Stretch (or scale) a Part in Animation

Started by Robb63, December 16, 2012, 10:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

Is it possible currently to scale a part like a spring for example, to make it look as though it is stretching and compressing (like a spring)?

If so, I don't see how in 3.3.33.

If not, will it be in KS4?
When is KS4 due???
Originally the website was saying Fall 2012. Any chance of KS4 showing up as a Christmas present???  :D

guest84672

No, you won't be able to do this in KeyShot. And sorry, KeyShot 4 will be released early next year.

Robb63

Do you mean KS4 won't be able to scale animations either?

DriesV

Quote from: Robb63 on December 16, 2012, 12:35:39 PM
Do you mean KS4 won't be able to scale animations either?

I wonder how that would work.
Realistically, you only want to morph the 'spine curve' of the spring. The spring wire profile should remain intact. In this case we're talking about distinct model configurations for different 'compression states'.
I think KeyShot can never do this for you. KeyShot can't 'remodel' your spring data. As far as I know, KeyShot only takes solids and surfaces.

UNLESS -in future releases- there will be a spring feature in KeyShot. A spring could be attached to a 'helper' cylinder that you modeled in your modeling tool. The user could configure springs with various parameters: spring diameter, pitch, length, wire diameter... Spring diameter, length, orientation and position could be derived from the helper cylinder as well. The spring length parameter f.i. could then be animated for compression or extension.

Dries

Robb63

I was only using the spring as an example. I would just like the ability to animate scaling, whether it is 1D, 2D, or 3D.

My specific need, is a client who wants to show a curtain design animating on a curtain rod from open to closed. Which works great with a simple stretch, and the fact that the cross-section flattens out as it stretches makes it look more realistic in this particular example.

In the case of the spring, if you could scale (stretch) in 1 direction, you could show a suspension moving, with the spring compressing, stretching, etc... I know the cross section of the spring wouldn't remain round while it does that movement, but for a lot of animations I would think that would still work.

The last thing KS needs to do is to start getting crazy complicated, but scaling is already part of the translation/rotation toolset, so it seems as though it could be animated? Of course I'm oversimplifying it, and I know the programming to do this kind of thing is incredibly difficult.  :)

PhilippeV8

I think Robb63 is right and for my video projects, I need the scale animation option available before we can even concider starting a video KS license.
You are right, Dries, that it would de-form the shape of the spring wire, but that will only become visible if you squeeze the spring more than 50%, which is often not needed.  All we need is maybe 30% and depending on wire thickness, it won't be noticable.
I need the scale (stretch) animation for screens.  So it looks as if they roll open or close.

Check here for an example:
Vervangen doek (or the second video from the top)
http://www.renson.be/Instructievideo-s-doekzonwering-en-knikarmschermen.html

This screen animation is done with 2 parts.  You got a tube for the screen that is rolled up, and a plane for the screen coming from behind it.  The screen stretches in height, while the rolled tube stretches in height and depth.
It is very simple and basic ... but very much needed for what I plan to do with this.

DriesV

You're absolutely right. Overcomplication would be a very bad thing for KeyShot.  ;)
I was just thinking out loud.

Robb63

Quote from: DriesV on December 17, 2012, 01:02:48 AM
You're absolutely right. Overcomplication would be a very bad thing for KeyShot.  ;)
I was just thinking out loud.

Makes for the best kind of discussion, kind of an online brainstorming session!

DriesV

Now for something slightly different:
Whenever I model a spring (or other coiled geometry) in SolidWorks and import it into KeyShot (be it native SW or converted STEP), I have to crank import quality way up (to 1.0) to get a decent quality mesh on the spring. This is using the beta importer for SW2013.
I only get this with spring-type models.
Do you guys recognize this issue?

Dries

guest84672

Yes - it is a problem with the tessellator. We hope that this will be better in the future. Try the plugin. This should give much better results.

DriesV

Is there a (beta) plugin for SW2013?
As I take it, the plugin for SW in the download section of the KeyShot website is compatible with 2011 & 2012 only.

So I guess I'm stuck to using the beta importer for a while...
Which is totally fine for any other type of model.  :D

guest84672

DriesV

Quote from: Thomas Teger on December 18, 2012, 06:30:57 AM
It will work. Give it a try.

Thomas, plugin works fine indeed. It takes a bit longer to import, but the quality of the spring mesh is much more consistent with that of other geometry.